Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Stable / 9 / Stretch is a hot mess on clean install

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
szupek

Debian Stable / 9 / Stretch is a hot mess on clean install

#1 Post by szupek »

I am installing on a Razer Blade 14" 2016 (i7-6700HQ aka SKYLAKE GT2) w/ GTX 970M.

I've spent about 15 hours, keyboard time trying to get a clean install to work. I've completely given up on 3D support w/ NVIDIA-PRIME / Bumblebee because it's instant gnome crash w/ nothing useful in Xorg.0.log. Even if I stick with the bone stock install and install gnome-system-tools, gnome and the whole machine locks up the second you go to SYSTEM SETTINGS. You get the circle of death and then total lock up. Again, nothing useful in XORG or DMESG. Even apt-get purge gnome-system-tools keeps the same problem.

I thought the point of STABLE version was for stability. I can't seem to blacklist nouveau or GT2 and can't use Debian at all. I also use UEFI w/ Windows Boot Manager as option from GRUB so consider Debian Jessie out because it can't understand UEFI partitions (latest available version from Debian Repository) during install and completely shits the bed after the reboot.

Does anyone have any advice? It seems to be Debian just keeps getting less and less stable for every stable release. I am not parting the seas here, I am just trying to use my machine for basic use (apps / email / browsing). It seems like Intel Skylake was designed to make sure Debian and NVIDIA never get along either.

I am not looking to do a mass custom install but I'd like to see Debian Stable be just that...stable.
Last edited by szupek on 2017-08-25 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

kedaha

Re: Debian Stable / 9 / Stretch is a hot mess on clean insta

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
You should be able to boot it by adding nouveau.modeset=0 to the end the kernel, if search results like this are anything to go by and you'll also need xserver-xorg-video-intel and firmware-misc-nonfree according to this forum topic

I don't know what else you might need to do since I've never had to set up Debian on a system with Intel Skylake, but I'm sure others will advise. From a few searches I did after reading your post, it definitely looks solvable.

If something doesn't work because third-party proprietary drivers are not installed or configured by default, this has nothing to do with stability.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

szupek

#3 Post by szupek »

I am past the point in trying to use third party drivers. I have already downloaded and installed firmware-misc-nonfree but i'll try xserver-xorg-video-intel (though I think it's installed already). Thanks,

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

You might need them for your hardware though, unfortunately.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

AppleCookies

#5 Post by AppleCookies »

I get your pain. *Removed some mean things towards Debian which came from frustration:)*
Last edited by AppleCookies on 2018-01-06 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

szupek wrote:I am installing on a Razer Blade 14" 2016 (i7-6700HQ aka SKYLAKE GT2) w/ GTX 970M.
That hardware will require binary blobs (which are not part of the official Debian release) to work at full performance.

Why did you purchase such hardware if you intended to run Debian?

Are you aware of Debian's Social Contract?

https://www.debian.org/social_contract

This is why hardware such as that which you have purchased is not optimally supported by the official Debian release and it is entirely as intended by the developers.

With the political lecture over, let's look at the technical points:
I thought the point of STABLE version was for stability.
No, not at all, you have got things all mixed up.

For Debian, "stable" is a reference to the software versions and, more importantly, their associated APIs; it is _not_ a synonym for "reliability", that is an unfortunately common misapprehension.
I can't seem to blacklist nouveau or GT2
You need to show how you tried to do this, perhaps you made a mistake?

I would recommend disabling the Nvidia card first and get the Intel card working before trying Bumblebee or Prime.

Unfortunately, Debian stable seems to have a bug with Intel graphics that can cause crashes, perhaps you are suffering from this.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135567
I also use UEFI w/ Windows Boot Manager as option from GRUB so consider Debian Jessie out because it can't understand UEFI partitions (latest available version from Debian Repository) during install and completely shits the bed after the reboot.
I can assure you that the Debian jessie ISO images fully support automagical UEFI installation (without Secure Boot) so you must be experiencing a PEBKAC error, please supply additional details ("shits the bed" means _nothing_ to me) if you require further assistance.
I am not parting the seas here
No but you are attempting to use Debian stable with hardware that is expressly designed to only function optimally if binary blobs are used.
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#7 Post by Wheelerof4te »

On top of previous Head_on_a_Stick's reply, I suggest another distro that will have everything pre-configured for you. Have you tried Ubuntu? Maybe wait untill january 11th when fixed 17.10 will be available again, since it will support your very new hardware better than 16.04 LTS. Small piece of advice, NVIDIA is generally a mess on Linux.

Ardouos

#8 Post by Ardouos »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
szupek wrote: For Debian, "stable" is a reference to the software versions and, more importantly, their associated APIs; it is _not_ a synonym for "reliability", that is an unfortunately common misapprehension.
Just quoting this so it stands out. "stability" as in "unchanging", not reliability. The fact that "it just works" is generally a consequence of that and the fact that before being released is thoroughly tested. But nothing is perfect and Debian is no exception.

Also:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=531279#p531279
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

op probably realised all that, they haven't been back since they posted all this in august(!).

anyhow, i'd like to add:
once a debian stable system is set up to one's satisfaction, it is indeed stable. solid as a rock. no worries about updates. etc. etc.
this does not mean that debian will just easily install onto any system.

also, op mentioned problems with gnome; i dare venture a guess that not using gnome would have removed at least one problem factor, and probably created the clarity required to get bumblebee & nvidia working.