Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gMTP

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Deblib

gMTP

#1 Post by Deblib »

Hello, I want to use gMTP in Debian to transfer my FP2 (with Fairphone Open OS) files. I have installed gmtp, libmtp-common, libmtp-dbg, libmtp-dev, libmtp-runtime, libmtp9 and mtp-tools packages in my computer. But gMTP shows an error message when I try to connect my FP2 (I select transfer files with MTP in my FP2, previously).
When I open gMTP with Terminal, it says this:

Code: Select all

$ gmtp
Device 0 (VID=2ae5 and PID=9039) is a Fairphone Fairphone 2 OS.
ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6LIBMTP PANIC: failed to open session on second attempt
Detectar: No se puede abrir el dispositivo de primas?
LIBMTP PANIC: Trying to dump the error stack of a NULL device!
LIBMTP PANIC: Trying to clear the error stack of a NULL device!
As root, similar result.
Any solution using gMTP?

TonyT

Re: gMTP

#2 Post by TonyT »

If it doesn’t connect automatically, open the notification panel on your phone, select USB connection and in there select “MTP” mode.

How to connect your Fairphone to your Linux computer:
Connecting your Fairphone to a Linux computer is slightly more difficult, but it's possible and should work without any problems. Read the articles here and here, on how to use your Fairphone with a Linux computer. Also, an easy solution is to install the package mtpfs. Read more here about mtpfs.
Source: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/ ... and-Linux-

Deblib

#3 Post by Deblib »

I have used gMTP without problems with Debian 8 and my FP2. But since I did a clean installation Debian 9 is not able to connect. Of course I activated MTP on the phone but nothing. I suspect that it is a problem of the usb ports, although I have tried to connect the cell to all of the pc. I would like to continue using the gMTP application since it is very comfortable and I have always worked well.

Deblib

#4 Post by Deblib »

Code: Select all

~$ jmtpfs ~/mnt
Device 0 (VID=2ae5 and PID=9039) is a Fairphone Fairphone 2 OS.
ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6LIBMTP PANIC: failed to open session on second attempt
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'MtpErrorCantOpenDevice'
  what():  Can't open device
Abortado
:(

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

a long time ago, i found a genious little python app:
https://github.com/sole/aafm
it's a filemanager frontend to 'adb'.
adb is a sort of ssh for android phones, i think it's included in android-tools or some such package.
it is very commonly used.

if adb works, so does this.

since i use it, no more headaches about mtp and will it recognize my phone or not...

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

debiman wrote:a long time ago, i found a genious little python app:
https://github.com/sole/aafm
it's a filemanager frontend to 'adb'.
adb is a sort of ssh for android phones, i think it's included in android-tools or some such package.
it is very commonly used.

if adb works, so does this.

since i use it, no more headaches about mtp and will it recognize my phone or not...
Hey, thanks for the tip about aafm. The jessie package for adb is android-tools-adb, in stretch it's just adb. I found a PPA for aafm by the its developer, but I think the packaging needs some fixer-uppering. So I'll do that and see how it works in MX Linux, and also try a backport of the upstream adb.

Edit: made some packages. MX 15 one built on vanilla Jessie, MX 17 on vanilla Stretch, both in pbuilder. MX is already creating the udev rules file, don't know about vanilla Debian.

Aafm is working for me, as you can see in my screenshot: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=42976
MX Linux packager and developer