Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrading to Evolution 3.24

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
zerubbabel

Upgrading to Evolution 3.24

#1 Post by zerubbabel »

I'm running Debian 9.1 Stable with the Cinnamon desktop. Is it possible for me to upgrade Evolution to version 3.24 without breaking anything else?

deborah-and-ian

Re: Upgrading to Evolution 3.24

#2 Post by deborah-and-ian »

3.24 is only available in Sid, the unstable repository. Unlike rolling release models from other operating systems, Sid in Debian is not supposed to be relatively stable and usable, it's more of a test bed for developers for the upcoming Debian releases. Upgrading Evolution means not just upgrading an email client, but the entire Gnome messaging/calendar stack. A lot of applications depend on that and I doubt it will be possible without upgrading larger portions of Gnome itself.

Regarding Sid: There's a general rule of thumb. If you have to ask if Sid will break your system, then you're not ready for it. Sounds harsh at first, but it means to say that users not ready to devote large portions of their free time to learning about Sid and maintaining it probably shouldn't use anything but Stable or another distro altogether if they are impatient about getting more recent packages. Read this:
http://wooledge.org/~greg/sidfaq.html
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

zerubbabel

#3 Post by zerubbabel »

Ok, thanks, I'll wait.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

GNOME is making a lot of their new packages available in containerized formats such as flatpak or possibly snap packages, so don't give up hope yet...I think I got Evolution 3.22 running via flatpak on Jessie a couple months ago, in response to a similar question.
MX Linux packager and developer