Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Manual GUI Install?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Carlosinfl

Manual GUI Install?

#1 Post by Carlosinfl »

Guys, I just installed a Testing "net install" but did not select "Desktop Environment" because it auto installs KDE & GNOME which I don't want. I prefer just gnome but now that I am done with the install, I have a non GUI system and would like to get GNOME.

Can someone please tell me how I can load / install the latest version of GNOME for my new Debian system which is CLI only right now? I do have a internet connection/IP address.

Thanks for any info.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

apt-get install x-window-system-core gnome-core gdm

Carlosinfl

#3 Post by Carlosinfl »

I got som ekind of error and my machine locked up so I had to reboot. I can't screenshot the error since my Linux machine is CLI only.

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

Well the error message would be important... You should paste it here. Write it to a piece of paper if your computer is locked up...
If the console is working, maybe you can get the text of a console by running this command (as root of course):
cat /dev/vcs0
Replace 0 with the tty you have.

#5 Post by Guest »

I will try again this afternoon when I arive home from work.