Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Xfce Won't Load at Start Up

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
happydog500

Xfce Won't Load at Start Up

#1 Post by happydog500 »

I installed debian xfce from the live CD. When debian starts up, the panels don't load. I get a message saying that xfce can't load and asks if I want to load default panels. Why would xfce not load on debian-xfce?

What can I do to fix it?

Thank you,
Chris.

GarryRicketson

Re: Xfce Won't Load at Start Up

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

----snip--asks if I want to load default panels. Why would xfce not load on debian-xfce?
So, did you click "yes", when it asked you to ? If you didn't say yes, and load the default panels, that is why it won't load.

happydog500

#3 Post by happydog500 »

"No Running instance of xfce-panel was found"
Runs the default panels. No modifications can be made. Does this about 4 or 5 times before it gives up installing xfce. default panels are not xfce.

Chris.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by None1975 »

happydog500 wrote:I installed debian xfce from the live CD.
Use network installer.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

happydog500 wrote:I installed debian xfce from the live CD. When debian starts up, the panels don't load. I get a message saying that xfce can't load and asks if I want to load default panels. Why would xfce not load on debian-xfce?
what's with the narrative?
we need exact error messages, not paraphrasing.
also we don't really know what you installed there. "the live cd" could be anything.

Wheelerof4te

#6 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Use either network installer, or a Debian CD with XFCE if network is a problem. You can find network installer on main page, and CD is here:
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... 64/iso-cd/ for 64-bit
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... 86/iso-cd/ for 32bit

happydog500

#7 Post by happydog500 »

debiman wrote:
happydog500 wrote:I installed debian xfce from the live CD. When debian starts up, the panels don't load. I get a message saying that xfce can't load and asks if I want to load default panels. Why would xfce not load on debian-xfce?
what's with the narrative?
we need exact error messages, not paraphrasing.
also we don't really know what you installed there. "the live cd" could be anything.
If you look two posts up, I quoted the exact error message. "No Running instance of xfce-panel was found"

I am DL the not live DVD. I have to use the 9.1 firmware since I have the amd not supported video.

Thank you,
Chris.