Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mates Caja not retaining setting

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
mccfrank

Mates Caja not retaining setting

#1 Post by mccfrank »

I am running the latest Mate desktop on Debian Sid.
Recently Caja ( which I use for desktop icons) has started to not
retain the compact setting with the result the text under the desktop
icons is messy and not formatted properly. As an example
my icon for Thunderbird which should look like this: Thunderbird Mail
looks like this: Thunderbird M
ail

Does anyone have any ideas or are other Mate users
experiencing the same thing? I submitted a bug, but
have not heard anything back.

Thanks

TonyT

Re: Mates Caja not retaining setting

#2 Post by TonyT »

I'm using MATE on Sid too. I have never used the Compact setting in File Manager preferences. I have a txt file on the desktop named xxxxx xxxxxxx. The name is on 2 lines. If I checkmark the Compact setting the name appears on one line. I see no problem although I've no clue what Compact setting is supposed to do.

mccfrank

#3 Post by mccfrank »

That's the problem I am referring to. The messy text happens even if compact setting is ticked
after login. If I uncheck it, then recheck it, the messy text is fixed. This is weird.

TonyT

#4 Post by TonyT »

According to this:
https://people.gnome.org/~bmsmith/build ... ences.html
Use compact layout
Select this option to arrange the items in icon view so that the items in the folder are closer to each other.
What do the file names look like in a Caja window? I would expect longer file names to get cut off because Compact view reduces the overall space an icon can occupy. I don't believe Compact view takes into consideration how much space is adjacent to an icon. The Desktop is a folder too and Compact should display icons there the same as it would in the actual Desktop directory in /home/user. Try it using "Text beside icons and see if it still wraps.