Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

replaygain tagger for Stretch

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
mrjayviper

replaygain tagger for Stretch

#1 Post by mrjayviper »

as above.

I've looked at the packages available and mp3gain was last available in wheezy? The only thing that I found that may work is a python script (python-rgain) but reading the description, it's not a tagger. it modifies the actual music data to implement replaygain.

Thanks! :)

debiman

Re: replaygain tagger for Stretch

#2 Post by debiman »

ffmpeg?

that said, you will need some backports in any case, and maybe some stevepusser stuff.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Wikipedia says Debian and Ubuntu dropped it because of "lack of an active maintainer". Sometimes this means it won't build on the gcc version in the newer release, sometimes it's just an orphan. If a gcc problem, I can try to cherry-pick patches from a PPA or the Arch AUR to get it to build...just did that yesterday to get easystroke to build on Stretch, in fact. Let's see what happens when I try it in my multimedia repo.

For what it's worth, it's not in deb-multimedia either, which is a bit suspicious.

Update: deb-multimedia does have aacgain, which seems to supplant mp3gain--in fact it builds an internal version of mp3gain. The mp3gain build in my own multimedia repo was successful: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... rt/mp3gain, but I'll add aacgain, too. Thread for my own repo: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127574

The description for aacgain:
Description: Lossless mp4 normalizer with statistical analysis
AACGain normalizes the volume of digital music files using the Replay Gain
algorithm. It works by modifying the global_gain fields in the mp4 samples.
Free-form metadata tags are added to the file to save undo information,
making the normalization process reversible. It supports AAC
(mp4/m4a/QuickTime) audio files in addition to mp3 files.
AACGain uses the same command-line user interface as mp3gain
However, looking by what the DMO aacgain uses to build and depends on, that version is also safe to install on vanilla Debian. It just uses straight C or C++ code, and won't drag in any outside ffmpeg libraries that have so troublesome in the past.
MX Linux packager and developer

mrjayviper

#4 Post by mrjayviper »

Thank you so much

tynman

#5 Post by tynman »

OP said:
The only thing that I found that may work is a python script (python-rgain) but reading the description, it's not a tagger. it modifies the actual music data to implement replaygain.
I don't believe this is true. Not sure what description you found. The man page for the replaygain program (implemented by the python-rgain Debian package) says:

Code: Select all

DESCRIPTION
       replaygain  applies or displays Replay Gain information for audio files. By default, all given files be assumed to be part of a single album
       and album gain data will be calculated for them.
By definition, "Replay Gain" is a "tagging" thing, not a "modify the music data" thing. I have seen nothing that would indicate otherwise about the behavior of the python-rgain package.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

I'll tell you a secret, don't tell anyone. Promise? It's not recommended practice.
You can download mp3gain package from Wheezy repo and use it by installing with dpkg -i. It has no dependencies apart from libc6 which is a core package anyway.
I'm using it in Sid ( :o ) as it's required for mp3 replaygain in SoundKonverter (which can also use aacgain). SoundKonverter is the only program I know which can analyse and tag replaygain for thousands of mixed format audio files in one hit. I wouldn't recommend SoundKonverter unless you use KDE though, as it has numerous KDE dependencies.
Also useful is DeadBeef with replaygain plugins although it only does one album at a time. It's not in Debian repo but the .deb from their website works perfectly. I believe QuodLibet can also do replaygain.
That said, have you actually tried python-rgain? It may do exactly what you want.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Or you can get Deadbeef from my multimedia repo. :) It's also in deb-multimedia, but that would drag in some of the problematic dependencies from there.
MX Linux packager and developer