Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Where are gsettings values that are user specific stored?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
shinobi

Where are gsettings values that are user specific stored?

#1 Post by shinobi »

Where are gsettings values that are user specific stored? For example the favorites in the GNOME dash (shell)? I am NOT talking about the DEFAULT list of favorites. But when the user customizes the favorites list, where is that stored.

Default list of favorites...
# gsettings get org.gnome.shell favorite-apps
['firefox-esr.desktop', 'evolution.desktop', 'org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop', 'org.gnome.Software.desktop', 'yelp.desktop']

Where is the PER USER favorites list stored?

I now that if I change the DEFAULT favorites list, a new user will get the default list. But this is NOT what I need, I need to know where the favorites list is stored PER USER. If I change the favorites list, it is NOT reflected in the gsettings org.shell.favorites-apps list since this is the DEFAULT, not the PER USER configuration.

Even DCONF editor does not show any PER USER configuration information. It must be somewhere.

debiman

Re: Where are gsettings values that are user specific stored

#2 Post by debiman »

are you saying you cannot configure the list of favorites with the tools provided?

anyhow, i'd start searching through the usual locations: ~, ~/.config and  ~/.local/share for folders named gconf or gsettings or some such.

shinobi

#3 Post by shinobi »

I can configure the DEFAULT settings for favorites with the tools provided. But that is not what I need. I need to find the location of where the actual user SPECIFIC settings are. Not the DEFAULT settings, which are only applicable when a user is initially created. Established users will have added, removed, etc. favorites to the dach (shell) panel, and it is that information I need to find and recreate as needed. Debian 9 (Stretch) for example does NOT seem to use or create any gnome shell (dash) settings under the home directory structure. at least that I could find, /.local does not seem to change. I created a new user, customized the shell (dash) panel, then tried to find where things are saved, so far no luck.

TonyT

#4 Post by TonyT »

You should be able to see all user panel objects using dconf-editor or similar tool.
When I used gnome they were located at gnome > panel > objects.
I use mate now and they are at org > mate > panel > objects.
Not sure, but gnome may have a .dconf dir in home/user/.config with a binary file.