Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian screensaver does not unlock

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
w0lfie

Debian screensaver does not unlock

#1 Post by w0lfie »

Hello everyone! Sorry if i posted this on wrong category, but i installed debian and after sometime the screen blanks and there is the little tabulator flashing on the left upper corner. After that i cannot unlock it or anything, just have to force restart.
Does anyone have any kind of solution because this only happens when the computer goes to sleep i assume? Thanks for reading :)

debiman

Re: Debian screensaver does not unlock

#2 Post by debiman »

w0lfie wrote:and there is the little tabulator flashing on the left upper corner.
what is that?

also, have you tried just (blindly) entering your password?

w0lfie

#3 Post by w0lfie »

debiman wrote:
w0lfie wrote:and there is the little tabulator flashing on the left upper corner.
what is that?

also, have you tried just (blindly) entering your password?
Not yet, i don't know why i haven't though that yet. I will try that and report back.
Im not sure if encryption might have something to do with this, because the whole screen will be black (apart from the blinking "space/tabulator" or whatever it's called and there is no any type of response from the system.
Not even pressing ALT + F2 does anything nor any of those combinations.

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

that does not sound like any sort of screensaver, but like your graphical session crashed.
can you switch to another tty with e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2?
if so, enter some commands:

Code: Select all

dmesg
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
lspci -k
try to understand what each of these commands does and what you are seeing (prepending eachcommand with 'man ' might help there) and how it can help you assess your current situation.

pendrachken

#5 Post by pendrachken »

Sounds like a typical sleep issue. Make sure your graphics drivers are properly installed... either the proprietary drivers or make sure that the non-free firmware for the card is installed.

Then, if that doesn't fix the problem look into the computer model ( especially if it is a laptop ) having ACPI issues. ACPI issues can usually be solved by changing one line in a text file, so this is again, usually, an easy fix.

Most times it is missing firmware or not fully installed drivers preventing a proper wake from sleep. It's pretty rare for there to be something so foobarred with the hardware that sleep can't be gotten to work after some digging.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P