Debian screensaver does not unlock

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Debian screensaver does not unlock

Postby w0lfie » 2017-10-07 11:41

Hello everyone! Sorry if i posted this on wrong category, but i installed debian and after sometime the screen blanks and there is the little tabulator flashing on the left upper corner. After that i cannot unlock it or anything, just have to force restart.
Does anyone have any kind of solution because this only happens when the computer goes to sleep i assume? Thanks for reading :)
w0lfie

Re: Debian screensaver does not unlock

Postby debiman » 2017-10-08 08:17

w0lfie wrote:and there is the little tabulator flashing on the left upper corner.

what is that?

also, have you tried just (blindly) entering your password?
debiman

Postby w0lfie » 2017-10-08 10:53

debiman wrote:
w0lfie wrote:and there is the little tabulator flashing on the left upper corner.

what is that?

also, have you tried just (blindly) entering your password?

Not yet, i don't know why i haven't though that yet. I will try that and report back.
Im not sure if encryption might have something to do with this, because the whole screen will be black (apart from the blinking "space/tabulator" or whatever it's called and there is no any type of response from the system.
Not even pressing ALT + F2 does anything nor any of those combinations.
w0lfie

Postby debiman » 2017-10-08 17:14

that does not sound like any sort of screensaver, but like your graphical session crashed.
can you switch to another tty with e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2?
if so, enter some commands:
Code: Select all
dmesg
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
lspci -k

try to understand what each of these commands does and what you are seeing (prepending eachcommand with 'man ' might help there) and how it can help you assess your current situation.
debiman

Postby pendrachken » 2017-10-08 20:59

Sounds like a typical sleep issue. Make sure your graphics drivers are properly installed... either the proprietary drivers or make sure that the non-free firmware for the card is installed.

Then, if that doesn't fix the problem look into the computer model ( especially if it is a laptop ) having ACPI issues. ACPI issues can usually be solved by changing one line in a text file, so this is again, usually, an easy fix.

Most times it is missing firmware or not fully installed drivers preventing a proper wake from sleep. It's pretty rare for there to be something so foobarred with the hardware that sleep can't be gotten to work after some digging.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P
pendrachken

Return to Desktop & Multimedia