Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems with GNOME and terminal in awesome on different tty

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Odranoel

Problems with GNOME and terminal in awesome on different tty

#1 Post by Odranoel »

I have recently installed Debian 9.0 stable in my ASUS K501U laptop, and everything works fine. I have also installed awesome wm because I prefer using it for work.
Now, my intention would be to log in with GNOME when I turn on the computer and then if needed open a new tty, log in and use awesome. In order to do so I have set GNOME as the choice given in the login screen and awesome as the default X11 window manager (also writing "exec awesome" in my ~/.xinitrc file), so that using "startx" in a new tty would start awesome.
However, if I start awseome in tty3 (while GNOME is in tty2) I cannot open any terminal: the pointer goes in "loading" mode but nothing happens. If i close awesome and go back to tty3 in text mode, I find the following error:

Code: Select all

xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (operation not permitted)
2017-10-10 13:26:48 /usr/share/awesome/lib/beautiful/xresources.lua:84: W: Failed to get xrdb value 'Xft.dpi'
2017-10-10 13:26:48 /usr/share/awesome/lib/beautiful/xresources.lua:54: Faield to get xrdb value 'background'
2017-10-10 13:26:48 W: beautiful: can't get colorscheme from xrdb (using fallback).
Error creating terminal: No screen 0 on display ":1"
xinit: connection to X server lost
Furthermore, sometimes when I come back to tty3 from tty2 a line appears on the terminal, like:

$ [ 1890.577854] nouveau 0000:01:00.0 priv: HUB0: 10ecc0 ffffffff (1c40822c)
The strange fact is that if I log in directly with awesome in tty2 (choosing "awesome" in the menu of the login screen), then the terminal (gnome-terminal) is opened immediately. If I set terminal="xterm" in rc.lua then awesome can open the terminal, but I really don't like xterm, I would like to make gnome-terminal work on awesome.

Any idea of where is the problem?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Problems with GNOME and terminal in awesome on different

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Odranoel wrote:I have set GNOME as the choice given in the login screen and awesome as the default X11 window manager
I do not understand what you mean by this, can you explain more please?

Any custom configuration files should also be posted here.
(also writing "exec awesome" in my ~/.xinitrc file), so that using "startx" in a new tty would start awesome.
In Debian, it is preferable to use ~/.xsession instead of ~/.xinitrc; from startx(1):
man startx wrote:Note that in the Debian system, what many people traditionally put in the .xinitrc file should go in .xsession instead; this permits the same X environment to be presented whether startx, xdm, or xinit is used to start the X session.
But also note that neither ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession are read by the GNOME display (login) manager.
deadbang

Odranoel

#3 Post by Odranoel »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:In Debian, it is preferable to use ~/.xsession instead of ~/.xinitrc
Thank you! Didn't know that, I will use .xsession then :)
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I do not understand what you mean by this, can you explain more please?
You're right, sorry, I was not completely clear. By "I have set awesome as the default X11 window manager" I meant that the output of update-alternatives --config x-window-manager is:

There are 2 choices for the alternative x-window-manager (providing /usr/bin/x-window-manager).

Selection    Path              Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
  0            /usr/bin/mutter    60        auto mode
* 1            /usr/bin/awesome   20        manual mode
  2            /usr/bin/mutter    60        manual mode

Press <enter> to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
On the other hand, GNOME is the window manager that is selected in the menu that appears under next to the "sign in" button at login, as in this screenshot (not mine, found in Google):

Sorry for the unclarity

Odranoel

#4 Post by Odranoel »

Actually, using .xsession has solved the problem and now the terminal can be opened also in awesome. Thanks! :D

There is however a little "accident": if I quit from awesome and get back to text-mode tty, now GNOME cannot open the terminal. If i try to open it in xterm I get:

Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Timeout was reached
and I can't figure out the reason of the "timeout". It is not a major problem (I don't think I will ever quit awesome once started in everyday life), but I would like to find a way to fix it in any case. Anyway, once awesome has stopped I still keep getting the "nouveau 0000:01:00.0 priv: HUB0: 10ecc0 ffffffff (1c40822c)" message in the tty.