Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mouse works in applications, not on desktop: Gnome nvidia

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ModalBass

Mouse works in applications, not on desktop: Gnome nvidia

#1 Post by ModalBass »

Hi -

I installed Stretch to my wife's computer (9.0.1 AMD 64) with no problems. The mouse was working fine, pointing, clicking, and scrolling with the wheel to perfection.

The computer has an old nVidia card in it - which was the card in use when I installed. Using the Noveau driver, all was working fine.

I decided to install the proprietary nVidia driver. I've done this before, most recently for another computer in the house with a 1050ti card which is working fine.

I used the instructions here to install the driver:
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... etch-304xx

The nvidia detect utility yielded this output:
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] [10de:0a65] (rev a2)

Checking card: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
Your card is only supported up to the 340 legacy drivers series.
It is recommended to install the
nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver package
After installing I got the warning about a conflict with the Nouveau driver, and followed the instruction to restart to rebuild the Xorg.conf file.

On restart the login screen looked normal and the mouse pointer moved, but mouse clicks were ignored.

Using the keyboard I can log on, and inside applications the mouse works as normal. On the desktop however, the pointer moves but right and left clicks are ignored.

I've been into the system settings for Gnome and checked the mouse is working - both buttons work for single and double clicks, and the scroll wheel works. As soon as I move the mouse pointer out of the window for the Gnome settings panel, mouse clicks are ignored. I can't use the favourites menu, nor the login / logout buttons. I have to log out by opening a terminal and using su to issue an init 0.

Examining my xorg.config file reveals no surprises: it is the same as for my other nVidia machine:

Code: Select all

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 375.26  (buildd@debian)  Fri Jan 13 02:38:29 UTC 2017

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
I've searched these forums for an analogous problem with no success - if I knew how I'd go back to the Nouveau driver and forget the fancy nVidia extras...

I'm not sure if this is a bug with the stretch-304xx driver, and if I should be directing this as the folks over at Gnome...

Any help would be appreciated - either to roll back to the Nouveau driver, or preferably to get the nVidia driver running properly.

Thanks in advance - :?

ModalBass

Solved Mouse works in applications, not on desktop Gnome nv

#2 Post by ModalBass »

Re-read my post - I had transposed 340 for 304 in choosing nVidia drivers.

Doh!

Thanks to those who read my post - probably scratched their heads, smiled, and thought pityingly ...

Anyway, thanks!

:)