Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sometimes screen gos to "power saving mode" just after boot

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
g1annos

Sometimes screen gos to "power saving mode" just after boot

#1 Post by g1annos »

I have a fresh Debian Stretch installation. As debian does not support fglrx no more, I followed some instructions (2-3 months ago) to make my Ati Radeon HD 5770 card work. There was no problem with that for months, until some days ago, when my screen mostly turns into "Power Saving Mode" rather than bringing me to the login screen. Then, I can do anything but rebooting the hard way (extended push on the switch). I guess it has to do with the graphics driver installed. Here is some info required:

Code: Select all

# lshw -c video
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Juniper XT [Radeon HD 5770]
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
       version: 00
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
       resources: irq:36 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fe9e0000-fe9fffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:c0000-dffff
Could you please help me solve it? Thanks in advance!

Capitain_Jack

Re: Sometimes screen gos to "power saving mode" just after b

#2 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Have you tryied the other instances running by pressing ctrl+alt+f1? than you can login into root and inspect for detailed problems or try out your normal login, than try to start the default desktop and see what happens. If no response, than it's locked by hardware issue most certainly.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

g1annos

#3 Post by g1annos »

I tryied ctrl_alt_F1 but no reaction. No command line appears. But, what o you mean "it's locked by hardware issue most certainly"??? Isn't it a driver issue?

Capitain_Jack

#4 Post by Capitain_Jack »

g1annos wrote: Isn't it a driver issue?
If it was working good, the ctrl+alt+f1 key should work, something is making the computer freeze, can be overheating, memory or other hardware issue.
It can be the driver, a good test is to leave it into text mode (ctrl+alt+f1 or emergency mode, selecting on grub the second option) and see if it happens within it, if so, than most probably it's a hardware issue.

Try also to run a memory test from a live usb boot and wait at least to 20% of the test to be completed (ideal is 100%, but usually a bad ram shows off soon).
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

The only time my monitor has done that at boot is when trying to use a refresh or display mode it doesn't like.
I followed some instructions (2-3 months ago) to make my Ati Radeon HD 5770 card work. There was no problem with that for months, until some days ago,
okay, well that's kind of vague about the instructions you followed, but what happened a few days ago? Did you update or upgrade something? If it's a Xorg problem then there might be something to help in Xorg.0.log.old when you reboot successfully after the failure.

That does sound strange that it only happens sometimes, could be a hardware problem I guess. Loose or poor cable?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

g1annos

#6 Post by g1annos »

Shouldn't it happen in Windows 7 as well if it was a hardware problem? It doesn't!

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

g1annos wrote:I have a fresh Debian Stretch installation. As debian does not support fglrx no more, I followed some instructions (2-3 months ago)
okay, well if you are convinced it's a software issue, and you want to solve it...

How do you have a "fresh" stretch installation that you "followed some instructions" on 2-3 months ago?

Fresh is like at least this week, I wouldn't eat a steak older than that, maybe some apples last longer but I wouldn't call them "fresh" after 2-3 months?
resigned by AI ChatGPT