Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

drivers for XGI Volari Z9s issue

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
philo_neo

drivers for XGI Volari Z9s issue

#1 Post by philo_neo »

Hello, I have an HP proliant ML150 G6, bi quad cores, i have install debian 9.1 with firmware, but i encounter problems with my video card which is a:
XGI Volari Z9s Grafikkarte 32MB PCI 1x DVI 1x VGA 96VG -32M-P-D2-XGI.
I found the drivers of the video card compatible with Debian 9, but I can not install the driver!
I have several options:
1 / I run the install_ubuntu.sh script in rescue mode!
2 / I run the executable file: xgi_xg27_x86_64_xorg8_2_81_08.run in rescue mode

3 / What I do right now I install Debian 9.1 with a USB key that I hope will load the drivers.

I
do not see how to do because I have two directories:
EM64T and IA32 containing the drivers.
Solution 1 / did not work and my grub does not work anymore

Regards
Philippe

stevepusser

Re: drivers for XGI Volari Z9s issue

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I take it you are trying to install some proprietary driver for either an old AMD or Nvidia GPU. Please refer to the Debian wiki as to how to do that correctly. Be aware that manufacturers drop support for their older hardware often, and you may have to use the free xorg drivers.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

furthermore it seems that using scripts intended for ubuntu "did not work" and you made things worse.
i hope a reinstall is possible, and in future you manage to resist the itch to "just press enter".
:roll:

pendrachken

#4 Post by pendrachken »

stevepusser wrote:I take it you are trying to install some proprietary driver for either an old AMD or Nvidia GPU. Please refer to the Debian wiki as to how to do that correctly. Be aware that manufacturers drop support for their older hardware often, and you may have to use the free xorg drivers.

XGI is SiS / Trident.

Supposedly there is support in X.org, but the only SiS driver I see in 9.2 is for SiS USB devices ( may work with PC cards and have bad naming.... who knows ). There is supposed to be an opensource driver for SiS cards too, but the few sites that mention it all point to a German home site that is 404'd.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

pendrachken wrote:SiS
i once had a laptop with some SiS gpu - it was impossible to get it working decently, even basic video playback. a backward-engineered linux driver that is essentially beta software, and nobody interested to develop it further.
that brand is a big no-no, i wouldn't even take it for free if it was offered to me in a laptop or so.
since your's is a server, i can only suggest to use it with the fallback driver and no gui (maybe even headless) and save yourself some headaches.