Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
nadielaya7

Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

#1 Post by nadielaya7 »

Why do the running apps get killed when I logout from xfce4, and more importantly, how do I prevent this from happening?

If I have a running firefox, for example, and I logout, when i log back in the previous firefox will have been closed and a new firefox will open on a blank page (or whatever my firefox restart settings are).

However the real issue is with wine. If I'm running a wine app. everytime I logout and relog back in the wine app is killed and its no longer there.

Any knowledge on how to fix this?

stevepusser

Re: Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

#2 Post by stevepusser »

What do you have in your xfce settings for session and startup?
MX Linux packager and developer

nadielaya7

#3 Post by nadielaya7 »

stevepusser wrote:What do you have in your xfce settings for session and startup?
In General Tab, the only thing checked is the Prompt on Logout. Everything else is not checked. Nothing is checked in the Advanced Tab.
Splash is None.

Some random apps in the other 2 tabs, do you need the exact apps checked there? I tried to upload a screen but it sais "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." and filedropper just made me open another thread.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

by nadielaya7 »I tried to upload a screen but it sais "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

nadielaya7 wrote:Why do the running apps get killed when I logout from xfce4, and more importantly, how do I prevent this from happening?

If I have a running firefox, for example, and I logout, when i log back in the previous firefox will have been closed and a new firefox will open on a blank page (or whatever my firefox restart settings are).

However the real issue is with wine. If I'm running a wine app. everytime I logout and relog back in the wine app is killed and its no longer there.

honestly, don't log out.
i wouldn't know another way to fix it.
lock session & hibernate instead.

xfce offers to "save session on exit" but afaiu that is not what you want.

nadielaya7

#6 Post by nadielaya7 »

debiman wrote:
nadielaya7 wrote:Why do the running apps get killed when I logout from xfce4, and more importantly, how do I prevent this from happening?

honestly, don't log out.
i wouldn't know another way to fix it.
lock session & hibernate instead.

xfce offers to "save session on exit" but afaiu that is not what you want.
Perfect. Locking out instead with xflock works perfectly and does not kill my apps. Thanks a lot, issue is now solved!!

gradinaruvasile

#7 Post by gradinaruvasile »

I don't know why is this surprising. Every desktop OS does this.
Specifically in Linux the X server is restarted (stopped and started). Every process that was running under it (launched from the X session) in the process tree is killed. This is the expected behavior.
Just lock the screen if you don't want others to tamper with your session.

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

Every desktop OS does this.
My open box lets me exit X without logging out. My other machine using Xfce4 behaves as has been described above.

gradinaruvasile

#9 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Bulkley wrote:
Every desktop OS does this.
My open box lets me exit X without logging out. My other machine using Xfce4 behaves as has been described above.
Are you sure X is actually stopped?