Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Spotify Web Player now only using HTML5

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Lysander

Spotify Web Player now only using HTML5

#1 Post by Lysander »

I thought this was worth a new topic.

Spotify have announced that Spotify Web Player has now been fully integrated with HTML5. This should be especially useful for those who have problems with the client or whose web player insisted on using Flash. This has been requested for literally years and now they've got round to it. This should hopefully improve performance since the Flash player was, well, unreliable.

I know some here use other solutions like Mopidy, but hopefully this will be useful for someone.
Updated on 2017-11-10
Hey everyone! We can confirm this very popular idea is now fully implemented. The new Web Player uses HTML5 technologies solely. Thanks for your continued feedback in the Idea Exchange!
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Implem ... -p/3121497

pawRoot

Re: Spotify Web Player now only using HTML5

#2 Post by pawRoot »

Wasn't Spotify web player been using HTML5 for a long time already? I don't have Flash installed since a few years, and I was always using Spotify without any problem.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Spotify have a flatpak available that will run in Debian stable (and oldstable):

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=3168
deadbang

Lysander

#4 Post by Lysander »

I've tried this out but can only get it to work in Firefox since it's the only browser which can enable Widevine without the user having to jump through hoops.
pawRoot wrote:Wasn't Spotify web player been using HTML5 for a long time already? I don't have Flash installed since a few years, and I was always using Spotify without any problem.
It switched back and forth between them. Users on the Spotify forum also reported the same thing, that it was inconsistent.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Spotify have a flatpak available that will run in Debian stable (and oldstable):

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=3168
I ran this in Jessie, worked very well. It's easier to run in Stretch via the instructions on the Debian Wiki - though what the Wiki doesn't say is that you need dirmngr to run Spotify.