Use AMDGPU instead of Radeon

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Use AMDGPU instead of Radeon

Postby Sajjad Kabir Joy » 2017-11-11 13:02

I'm using Debian Stretch on AMD Kaveri APU, which, according to the description of the package xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu supports (or "should support") my GPU, which is Radeon R7 (everywhere I looked, this GPU is supported by AMDGPU). But in reality it doesn't work. I've tried blacklisting radeon and using a xorg configuration to use AMDGPU, but (in the first case) only VESA was there (low-res, no acceleration), and (in the latter case) Xorg simply wouldn't start. The drivers and kernel modules are apparently there. Could anyone please tell me if AMDGPU can at all be used in Debian 9, and if yes, how?

Output of lspci -nn | grep VGA:
Code: Select all
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics] [1002:1313]
Sajjad Kabir Joy

Re: Use AMDGPU instead of Radeon

Postby deborah-and-ian » 2017-11-11 15:49

Is this a Southern Island or Sea Island chip? Then there is no official support and it has to be enabled first (at least on Arch, never tried it on Debian):

The linux package enables AMDGPU support for cards of the Southern Islands (SI) and Sea Islands (CIK). When building or compiling a kernel, CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI=Y and/or CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=Y should be be set in the config.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Gnome 3.22

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless
deborah-and-ian

Postby Sajjad Kabir Joy » 2017-11-11 16:51

deborah-and-ian wrote:Is this a Southern Island or Sea Island chip?

It's Sea Island, as far as I can find out. In any event it has GCN. Too bad will have to compile the kernel :(
Sajjad Kabir Joy

Postby tynman » 2017-11-11 18:03

One of my computers has an AMD A6-7400K CPU, which has a "Kaveri" Radeon R5 APU. Under Debian 8, I was able to get it working successfully using the AMD fglrx non-open-source driver. But when I tried to install Debian 9 on that compueter, I found the the fglrx driver was not available.

Under Debian 9, the default driver that was loading would set the display resolution to 1024 X 760 (IIRC) instead of the actual screen resolution of 1680 x 1050. The obvious answer was to use the AMDGPU driver, but I couldn't get it to load. I spent way too much time searching the internet to find out why, only to come to the conclusion (1) the "Kaveri" APUs use AMD's "GCN 1.0" architecture, and (2) the AMDGPU driver supports only video chips based on >= GCN 2.0. I read about compiling the kernel with special settings (as noted earlier), but I have no interest in compiling special kernels, so...

That computer will stay with Debian 8. My computer purchases in the future will not have AMD CPUs or AMD APUs.
tynman

Postby stevepusser » 2017-11-11 23:16

tynman wrote:One of my computers has an AMD A6-7400K CPU, which has a "Kaveri" Radeon R5 APU. Under Debian 8, I was able to get it working successfully using the AMD fglrx non-open-source driver. But when I tried to install Debian 9 on that compueter, I found the the fglrx driver was not available.

Under Debian 9, the default driver that was loading would set the display resolution to 1024 X 760 (IIRC) instead of the actual screen resolution of 1680 x 1050. The obvious answer was to use the AMDGPU driver, but I couldn't get it to load. I spent way too much time searching the internet to find out why, only to come to the conclusion (1) the "Kaveri" APUs use AMD's "GCN 1.0" architecture, and (2) the AMDGPU driver supports only video chips based on >= GCN 2.0. I read about compiling the kernel with special settings (as noted earlier), but I have no interest in compiling special kernels, so...

That computer will stay with Debian 8. My computer purchases in the future will not have AMD CPUs or AMD APUs.

I have to ask if you had firmware-amd-graphics installed at any time to get the Radeon driver to work.

You can also look at your kernel's config in /boot and search for those config options to see if the Debian kernel enables them. For what it's worth, the Liquorix kernel has:
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU=m
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR=y
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.2.1, Pale Moon 27.6.0, Audacity 2.2.0, mpv 0.27.0, Corebird 1.7.1, Firefox 57.0, SMPlayer 17.11.2
stevepusser

Postby Sajjad Kabir Joy » 2017-11-12 06:32

tynman wrote:Under Debian 8, I was able to get it working successfully using the AMD fglrx non-open-source driver. But when I tried to install Debian 9 on that compueter, I found the the fglrx driver was not available.

AMD has stopped developing fglrx. As has been pointed out, you're probably missing the firmware. Actually Radeon GPUs work fine with the free radeon driver (at times, better than fglrx). It's not because my hardware doesn't work well with radeon that I want to test AMDGPU out (it's still somewhat experimental)--I simply wanted to find out. Also, I hear new features are added in the latest kernel for APUs. Until Debian enables Kaveri support in its kernel for AMDGPU, I think I'll just stick with radeon.
Sajjad Kabir Joy

Postby praka123 » 2017-11-18 11:56

Hi,
A related query. I have a HP laptop with the newly launched AMD 520 (AMD Radeon 520) mobile graphics as DGP. This card has very little info available apart from it has GCN 1.0 as feature. Speculates it's mid road between SI and CIK. Glxinfo lists the card as AMD HAINAN.

Somebody said:
The shader core would be GCN 1.0 while some of the other blocks would be newer and inline with the larger CI parts IIRC.

So, would like to know, if this card is better supported in "amdgpu". Also, the amdgpu-pro proprietary driver supports the card?

~$: lspci -knnn

01:00.0 Display controller [0380]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330 / M430 / R7 M520] [1002:6660] (rev 83) Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330 / M430] [103c:832b] Kernel driver in use: radeon Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

Now, if I run any app with DRI_PRIME=1 to use DGPU it works and shows below info:

:~$ DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo |grep -i Opengl* OpenGL vendor string: X.Org OpenGL renderer string: AMD HAINAN (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.0-16-generic, LLVM 5.0.0) OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.2 OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
Debian (Testing/Unstable)
praka123

Postby stevepusser » 2017-11-18 18:47

If the 4.13.13 kernel makes into stretch-backports, then it should also support the GCN 1.0 cpus. The current choices are to run the Liquorix kernel or rebuild the current 4.13.4 stretch-backports kernel with those config options turned on, which takes a while to build, depending on how much horsepower and cores you can throw at it.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.2.1, Pale Moon 27.6.0, Audacity 2.2.0, mpv 0.27.0, Corebird 1.7.1, Firefox 57.0, SMPlayer 17.11.2
stevepusser

Return to Desktop & Multimedia