Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

install expressvpn

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ticojohn

install expressvpn

#1 Post by ticojohn »

Due to some geo restrictions (I live in Costa Rica) I am thinking about installing a VPN service, specifically ExpressVPN, The installation instructions they have on their site are specifically for Ubuntu and I think would work with Debian, but I am not 100% certain. One question I have is whether I need to install anything, such as the openvpn package, from the Debian repository.

I know ExpressVPN is a bit pricey but they seem to have an excellent service. I especially like the ability to connect and disconnect the VPN service at will. I presume that once the VPN is installed that it will be effective for whatever app I am using, be it a browser or Kodi.

Would appreciate feedback from those with knowledge and/or experience with ExpressVPN on Debian. My primary usage would be on Stretch amd64.

Thanks for the help.

Update: After further reading on the expressvpn setup pages it looks like I need to install openvpn from the repository. Makes sense. Still hoping for replies from those that may have experience setting up expressvpn. And I probably should have put this post in System Configuration. DOH!
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Bulkley

Re: install expressvpn

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Does ExpressVPN have good instructions for configuring openvpn? Better still, does it have a configuration package that you could import directly into openvpn? I note that ExpressVPN has browser extensions. What do they do?

Before you sign up take a look at Airvpn. It has it's own user client called Eddie which I understand is based on openvpn. It works on Stretch. Or you can configure on site and import that config to openvpn. I'm not trying to sell Airvpn but just show you what is available.

Getting started with a VPN has a learning curve. Anything that can make it easier ihelps.

RU55EL

#3 Post by RU55EL »

ticojohn wrote:Due to some geo restrictions (I live in Costa Rica) I am thinking about installing a VPN service, specifically ExpressVPN, The installation instructions they have on their site are specifically for Ubuntu and I think would work with Debian, but I am not 100% certain. One question I have is whether I need to install anything, such as the openvpn package, from the Debian repository. [...]
I find that ExpressVPN works flawlessly with Debian. I've been using it for a few years.

You can use it a couple different ways. You can download the .deb file and install it at the command line, activate it once, and run it with a simple command. It can be started or stopped anytime from the command line. Or, you can download the openVPN configuration file and use openVPN to connect.

Actually, there is a third way. You can obtain a router configured to use ExpressVPN. Then anything connect to the router passes through the VPN service.

I use the VPN service on my phones, my tablets, and my computers. I also use a dual router setup at home with one router configured though the VPN and one that isn't.

I have never had a problem using ExpressVPN with Debian, Fedora, Windows, iOS, or android.

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

RU55EL wrote: I find that ExpressVPN works flawlessly with Debian. I've been using it for a few years.

You can use it a couple different ways. You can download the .deb file and install it at the command line, activate it once, and run it with a simple command. It can be started or stopped anytime from the command line. Or, you can download the openVPN configuration file and use openVPN to connect.
Thanks for that feedback. Yes, I saw that there were a couple different ways to install, just wasn't sure if downloading the .deb file and installing was sufficient or if I also needed to install openVPN. From what you are saying I take it that I don't need to install openVPN if I download and install the .deb file. I don't want to install openVPN if there might be some conflict.

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

Bulkley wrote:Does ExpressVPN have good instructions for configuring openvpn? Better still, does it have a configuration package that you could import directly into openvpn? I note that ExpressVPN has browser extensions. What do they do?

Before you sign up take a look at Airvpn. It has it's own user client called Eddie which I understand is based on openvpn. It works on Stretch. Or you can configure on site and import that config to openvpn. I'm not trying to sell Airvpn but just show you what is available.

Getting started with a VPN has a learning curve. Anything that can make it easier ihelps.
Thanks Bulkley. I have been looking at a lot of different VPN websites, including Airvpn. Yes, there are good instructions for installing and using Expressvpn. Expressvpn can be installed using openVPN config file or directly from a .deb file. Not sure what the browser extensions are for. I would assume that if I configure the network for VPN that it would be irrelevant what the browser extensions are for. But I'll take a look. My primary use will be with Kodi.

Just read this review and thought Bulkley might find it interesting.
https://www.comparitech.com/vpn/reviews/expressvpn/

RU55EL

#6 Post by RU55EL »

ticojohn wrote:[...]From what you are saying I take it that I don't need to install openVPN if I download and install the .deb file. I don't want to install openVPN if there might be some conflict.
If you install from the .deb file, you don't need openVPN. But, you can install openVPN and connect to the VPN service using the ExpressVPN software installed from the .deb file, or openVPN with the downloaded configuration files. I have never encountered a conflict. I am using straight Debian stable, no contrib, no non-free.