Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is the webkit/webengine in Debian Testing outdated?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
trailtron

Is the webkit/webengine in Debian Testing outdated?

#1 Post by trailtron »

So I tried Midori and Qupzilla as I was getting fed up of Firefox and Chrome.However the browser HTML5 test for both showed a very low score somewhere around 320s.
Many sites like Youtube and Facebook broke functionality.
When I checked up on settings I was able to find out the system uses a old version of webkit/webengine.I tried to manually install the latest version of both using apt-get and I still see no difference.Is there some way to get these browsers to use the latest version in Debian?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Is the webkit/webengine in Debian Testing outdated?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

No.

Debian even issue a warning about webkit-based browsers in the official release notes:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... r-security

Of all of the webkit browsers, only chromium is kept up to date (but even that has fallen behind in oldstable), no others should be used.

EDIT: ooops, you're talking about testing...

That will always be 10-14 days behind sid so best to use the latter for the latest versions, no?
deadbang

trailtron

#3 Post by trailtron »

But mine seems to be using webkit 5(Even if its 10-15 days far behind I don't thinkit will be that bad that to actually score 0 in the HTML5 streaming test)
Youtube is just a white page with logo and a search bar for me.
Also I upgraded from a stable to a testing version.So I am wondering if this is a problem due to that.

trailtron

#4 Post by trailtron »

Just checked back.My Midori for insance is breaking dependency and asking to install libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 even though the I have a higher version installed.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

trailtron wrote:My Midori for insance is breaking dependency and asking to install libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 even though the I have a higher version installed.
That is fairly normal for testing — the decorators must be in :mrgreen:
deadbang

trailtron

#6 Post by trailtron »

Decorators must be in
No way to fix it?Sorry I did'nt get that actually.I tried manually installing the latest(3.0)and it still shows that problem.I tried removing 1.0 manuallly to see if it will select 3.0.Is there some config file I have to edit so to get the whole system to recognise the latest version?

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

trailtron wrote:No way to fix it?
Wait a bit then try again ;)

Be prepared for continued b0rkage of that nature though, the function of the testing system is to break repeatedly and expose bugs so that they can be fixed; Debian do not intend for it to be used as a day-to-day system.

EDIT: see also http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=134762
deadbang