Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[CLOSED] Removing link file /usr/bin/soffice ~ but issue

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
makh

[CLOSED] Removing link file /usr/bin/soffice ~ but issue

#1 Post by makh »

Hi

I installed Openoffice, on xfce. Everything went fine. :)

Next I had to install another package: desktop integration, provided separately. But it failed. :(

Code: Select all

Unpacking openoffice-debian-menus (4.1.4-9788) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /.../openoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.4-9788_all.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package libreoffice-common 1:5.2.7-1
/usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
/usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
According to: http://www.openoffice.org/download/comm ... preinstall I deleted /usr/bin/soffice

But still the issue continues. It seems it is not deleting this file or it is some link issue.

Can there be a way to create additional link or can this be fixed?

Thankyou

Edit: corrections
Last edited by makh on 2017-12-18 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Removing link file /usr/bin/soffice ~ but next issue

#2 Post by steve_v »

You are trying to install a non-debian package (not a particularly good idea in general) that conflicts with a debian package (Libreoffice).
Trying to have both installed at the same time is going to cause problems. Either stick with the official Libreoffice package, which replaced Openoffice some time ago, or remove the conflicting libreoffice-common package first.
It's not the file itself that blocks install, but the reference to it in the libreoffice-common package.

Any particular reason you want Openoffice over Libreoffice? They're forks of the same project, and the official Libreoffice packages will get proper updates with the rest of the system while downloaded .debs will not.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

makh

#3 Post by makh »

@Steve:
Hello, Sir! I just wanted to check out the possible alternates, just for testing out only. Thats the reason of testing OOO, without removing LO... :)
I am not particularly good at "ln" command, only used it a very few times for simple hard linking. Isnt there any possibility?
Thankyou

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by steve_v »

Links, soft or hard, have nothing to do with anything. It's dpkg that is refusing to overwrite the file, because it is referenced in another installed package. What's the problem with temporarily removing Libreoffice anyway?
If you really want to do things the hard way, the --force-overwrite option to dpkg will do what it says on the tin.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

makh wrote:Hello, Sir! I just wanted to check out the possible alternates, just for testing out only. Thats the reason of testing OOO, without removing LO... :)
I am not particularly good at "ln" command, only used it a very few times for simple hard linking. Isnt there any possibility?
bookmarked (edit: and quoted) for future reference.
i see another "frankendebian - reinstall - next" coming on.
steve_v wrote:You are trying to install a non-debian package (not a particularly good idea in general) that conflicts with a debian package (Libreoffice).
but, but... makh's only "Employing the Best"!
Last edited by debiman on 2017-12-11 05:04, edited 1 time in total.

makh

#6 Post by makh »

@Steve:
Sir! It is giving this, after removing:

ls /usr/bin/soffice
ls: cannot access '/usr/bin/soffice': No such file or directory
Next:

dpkg -i openoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.4-9788_all.deb 
dpkg: error processing archive openoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.4-9788_all.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package libreoffice-common 1:5.2.7-1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 openoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.4-9788_all.deb
Better for not it seems using menulibre, I can run the apps via menu.
All softwares arent perfect... or arent fully tested... (<<< This is for the manual of OOO.)
Thanks a lot. :)

@debiman!
I will be very scared to post any thing from now onwards. :cry:
:roll: I hope you arent stalking me... :lol:
Seriously ... I had a 2nd time issue with libreoffice. It was very critical, calc wasnt updating formulas... this didnt happen in Debian Stable, but the latest release of LO. Though it didnt repeat after retesting, after 2 hours...

Thankyou

Edit:
1. Code correction.