Download with a desktop?

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Download with a desktop?

Postby CarterCox » 2017-12-11 17:47

Hello guys, sorry for the stupid question, but I've downloaded the CD, DVD and net installer images and none of those include a DE. I'm not the best with the terminal so I need a GUI to get things done. The problem is, downloading a desktop is a pain because every mirror I select is slow, and I have to select it at the end of the installation. I need to know if there is a way to download Debian + a DE from a torrent or the web directly.

Thanks for your help and patience! :D
CarterCox

Re: Download with a desktop?

Postby arochester » 2017-12-11 18:54

I've downloaded the CD, DVD and net installer images
What did you download? Where from? How did you process it?

If you work through the install you should come across a screen for "Software Selection" this has Gnome, Xfce, KDE, Cinnamon, Mate, Lxde...
arochester

Postby CarterCox » 2017-12-11 19:03

arochester wrote:

If you work through the install you should come across a screen for "Software Selection" this has Gnome, Xfce, KDE, Cinnamon, Mate, Lxde...

I know, but you have to download them within the installer. I want to pre-download the DE I want. Is it possible?

I downloaded everything from the main page:

CarterCox

Postby arochester » 2017-12-11 19:17

Are you new to Linux?

What you (may) have downloaded is an ISO.

You do not open the ISO.

Either you need to "burn" the ISO. That is a special operation to create a bootable Linux disk.
Or you need to process the ISO so it goes onto a USB stick.
arochester

Postby Segfault » 2017-12-11 19:19

You said all mirrors are slow for you. Then why waste time downloading huge DVD's, do netinstall and install (download) only what you need.
Segfault

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2017-12-11 19:23

CarterCox wrote:I know, but you have to download them within the installer. I want to pre-download the DE I want. Is it possible?

You mean, like on Ubuntu? Debian has live images, but they are not reccomended for installation.
https://www.debian.org/CD/live/

Segfault wrote: do netinstall and install only what you need.

But he will still need to download a desktop, no? Best option is to use someone else's PC with a good connection and put all 3 DVD .iso files on a 4 GB USBs. This way, he will have everything without having to download it. First DVD is for installation, other 2 have .deb packages.
Wheelerof4te

Postby CarterCox » 2017-12-11 19:36

arochester wrote:Are you new to Linux?

What you (may) have downloaded is an ISO.

You do not open the ISO.

Either you need to "burn" the ISO. That is a special operation to create a bootable Linux disk.
Or you need to process the ISO so it goes onto a USB stick.

Yeah I know, that's what I mean by "installer". The on I burnt into the flash drive and installed, until I get to the "software selection" and I have to download a few Gb from a slow mirror.

Segfault wrote:You said all mirrors are slow for you. Then why waste time downloading huge DVD's, do netinstall and install (download) only what you need.

Because the mirrors are slow, not my internet connection. I could torrent 4Gb in a few minutes, but downloading from the mirrors is too slow.

Wheelerof4te wrote:
CarterCox wrote:I know, but you have to download them within the installer. I want to pre-download the DE I want. Is it possible?

You mean, like on Ubuntu? Debian has live images, but they are not reccomended for installation.
https://www.debian.org/CD/live/

Segfault wrote: do netinstall and install only what you need.

But he will still need to download a desktop, no? Best option is to use someone else's PC with a good connection and put all 3 DVD .iso files on a 4 GB USBs. This way, he will have everything without having to download it. First DVD is for installation, other 2 have .deb packages.

I can download all the 12Gb from my own computer, because as I said, my internet connection is not the problem, but they still don't have a DE, right? Packages are secondary here, I need a working DE and then I can download any package I need. I simply don't want to download the DE within the installer.

I believe the Live CDs are what I'm looking for. Thank you!
CarterCox

Postby RU55EL » 2017-12-11 19:56

CarterCox wrote:
arochester wrote:

I know, but you have to download them within the installer. I want to pre-download the DE I want. Is it possible?

I downloaded everything from the main page:

The first disk from the first link, https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/bt-dvd/ contains everything you need to install Debian without a network connection. You can install Gnome, Xfce, KDE, etc., from the installation program on the first disk, without downloading anything else from the internet, or using a Debian mirror.
RU55EL

Postby CarterCox » 2017-12-11 23:39

RU55EL wrote:The first disk from the first link, https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/bt-dvd/ contains everything you need to install Debian without a network connection. You can install Gnome, Xfce, KDE, etc., from the installation program on the first disk, without downloading anything else from the internet, or using a Debian mirror.

Outstanding! It's done. Thank you!
CarterCox

Return to Desktop & Multimedia