Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] kde/qt apps theme/color control outside major DEs

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
J. Reis

[solved] kde/qt apps theme/color control outside major DEs

#1 Post by J. Reis »

Debian Stable 9.3 — 4.9.0-4-amd64
soundKonverter version: 2.2.2 4.14.26 Debian package from repo

I'm hoping someone might be able to quickly elucidate a minor issue I'm having. Simply put, soundKonverter appears to be using a dark theme (very unlike the screenshots shown on github). This causes selected content to be very difficult to read (white selection highlight over grey text).

I'm not running KDE, in fact I'm just running a light window manager on top of X. Off the top of my head, soundKonverter might be the only QT application I've got on this machine, though I don't pay very close attention to that kind of thing so I may be mistaken. In any case, it is the only one that seems to be using these colors.

There isn't much on the web (that I could find) about changing the themes/colors used by apps other than by using KDE's built in system setting GUI or a plugin for Gnome. I poked around a bit in ~/.kde and /usr/share/kd4 but nothing jumped out as an obvious lever with which to modify default theme or colors and I imagine I could get into some amount of trouble haphazardly making edits there which I'll have forgotten about by the next time I install a kde app.

Anyhow, the developer isn't interested in providing any info on this since the Debian version is so old saying:
You are using an old Version (kde4). sorry, but i can't Help You with that.
This may well be a Qt or KDE issue, or perhaps just an issue with my local config—I honestly don't know. But perhaps someone else who has installed a couple of kde/qt apps here or there on their systems will know the resolution off hand and might be willing to share.

Justin R.
Last edited by J. Reis on 2017-12-25 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

Re: kde/qt apps theme/color control outside major DEs

#2 Post by debiman »

do you have a gui app to change the appearance of qt apps?
it exists, separately for qt4 and qt5, iirc.
for qt4, it is called qtconfig-qt4 on my system.
once you got that working, select GUI Style "Desktop Settings (Default)".
It should then use the same theme (or an approximation thereof) as your GTK themes.
Alternatively you can also look at ~/.config/Trolltech.conf and maybe even edit the [Qt] section manually.

all this is assuming that your problem is qt related; i know nothing about kde.

Capitain_Jack

#3 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Take a read here, it may be helpful. I use KDE plasma (KDE5), but been using it for long time. I believe also either is qt4 or qt5, not qt3 as mentioned at the post (different program, same issue).
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=61512
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Soundkonverter is using Qt 4, so the instructions to using the Qt 4 config GUI should work.
MX Linux packager and developer

J. Reis

#5 Post by J. Reis »

debiman wrote:do you have a gui app to change the appearance of qt apps?
it exists, separately for qt4 and qt5, iirc.
for qt4, it is called qtconfig-qt4 on my system.
once you got that working, select GUI Style "Desktop Settings (Default)".
It should then use the same theme (or an approximation thereof) as your GTK themes.
Alternatively you can also look at ~/.config/Trolltech.conf and maybe even edit the [Qt] section manually.

all this is assuming that your problem is qt related; i know nothing about kde.
Many thanks debiman! The package qt4-qtconfig pulled in zero new packages (aside from itself), weighed in at ~500kB and I was able to use it to solve my issue by altering the 'highlight' color in the "Tune Pallette" menu.

Thanks also for the other responses, everyone's input is very much appreciated!

Justin R.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [solved] kde/qt apps theme/color control outside major D

#6 Post by sunrat »

Thanks from me too @stevepusser.
The same issue had been annoying me but not enough to bother finding a solution. Fixed in about 2 minutes! 8)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!