Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Connect output line to input line ?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Stemmo

Connect output line to input line ?

#1 Post by Stemmo »

Hi there,
is it possible to 'virtually connect' the output of the audio board with the input of the audio board?
I mean without the physical cable...
What I need is to reproduce an audio file and get it on the audio input line, on the same PC.

Thanks,
regards

PS: Debian GNU/Linux 9.3 (stretch) and GNOME
SteMMo

debiman

Re: Connect output line to input line ?

#2 Post by debiman »

with jackaudio it is definitely possible, with pulseaudio i think it is possible, with ALSA it's usually (consumer audio cards) only possible with a physical cable.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by steve_v »

debiman wrote:with ALSA it's usually (consumer audio cards) only possible with a physical cable.
Not entirely true, though I never did figure out how to get it to work with dmix. The documentation is a little vague, as always.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Maybe if you explained the exact reason you need this audio file output to also be the input, an expert would step up with help.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

steve_v wrote:
debiman wrote:with ALSA it's usually (consumer audio cards) only possible with a physical cable.
Not entirely true, though I never did figure out how to get it to work with dmix. The documentation is a little vague, as always.
yes, this hidden treasure is like a myth, buried deep in the land of /var/lib/alsa.
i never heard of anyone able to use it and live to tell the tale...

Dai_trying

#6 Post by Dai_trying »

Using Audacity you could select the input for recording to be the output from your system, in my case I had to select HDA Intel PCH:ALC3234 Analog (hw:0,0) as the input and tested by simply playing a sound from another application and when I started recording it was detected and showed in the main screen.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by steve_v »

debiman wrote:this hidden treasure is like a myth, buried deep in the land of /var/lib/alsa.
Actually, it's a module - so the "X" for this particular loot is on /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/sound/drivers/ :P
The problem with ALSA is not lack of functionality, or even ease-of-use (as the pulseaudio fans will say), it's lack of usable documentation.
I have managed to discover a few fun tricks, mainly by trial-and-error, but loopback is not something I've ever needed - so I only went as far as "mostly works".
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.