XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby Danielsan » 2017-12-27 05:17

Hi guys, I had to uninstall Evince in favor of Atril because new release of Evince in Testing requires Nautilus. However that solution remove some packages from Gnome and install other ones from Mate not a very great deal...
If you can't fork then hold you in silence.
User avatar
Danielsan
 
Posts: 470
Joined: 2010-10-10 22:36

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby Bloom » 2017-12-27 10:51

Since XFCE 4.12 still uses GTK2, it is a bit overkill to use several packages from Gnome 3 like Evince, EOG and File-Roller, since they will add GTK3 libraries to your system. You can save quite a bit of memory by purging those and installing the equivalent ones from MATE:
Code: Select all
sudo apt purge evince eog file-roller
sudo apt -y install atril eom engrampa

To integrate Engrampa with Thunar, there is unfortunately a tap file missing.
Create the following text file engrempa.tap in your home directory:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
#
# engrampa.tap - Wrapper script to create and extract archive files
# in Thunar, via the thunar-archive-plugin, using the
# engrampa archive manager.
#
# $Id: engrampa.tap 1468 2006-07-02 14:02:38Z benny $
#
# Copyright (c) 2006 Benedikt Meurer <benny@xfce.org>.
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
# Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option)
# any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
# ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for
# more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with
# this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple
# Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA.
#
# determine the action and the folder, $@ then contains only the files
action=$1; shift;
folder=$1; shift;
# check the action
case $action in
create)
exec engrampa "--default-dir=$folder" --add "$@"
;;
extract-here)
exec engrampa "--extract-to=$folder" --force "$@"
;;
extract-to)
exec engrampa --extract "$@"
;;
*)
echo "Unsupported action '$action'" >&2
exit 1
esac

Then do:
Code: Select all
sudo cp engrampa.tap /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/thunar-archive-plugin/
sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/thunar-archive-plugin/engrampa.tap

For a 32 bit system, replace x86_64 in the two lines above by i386.
User avatar
Bloom
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 2017-11-11 12:23

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby Bloom » 2017-12-27 10:59

I forgot: XFCE normally uses Ristretto as its picture viewer, epdfviewer or xpdf as its document viewer and xarchiver as its universal archives handling program. Unfortunately, they don't work nearly as good or as nice as what Gnome 2 used to have. That's why I replace them on any XFCE desktop I install for myself or for others by eom, atril and engrampa from MATE. Much better!
User avatar
Bloom
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 2017-11-11 12:23

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby deborah-and-ian » 2017-12-27 12:14

new release of Evince in Testing requires Nautilus


That's not true.

https://packages.debian.org/buster/evince

Same goes for Atril. It doesn't pull in a bunch of Mate stuff, just 2 small Mate packages that together pull in maybe 3MB of dependencies. The rest is the usual gtk stuff that pretty much every gtk app pulls in.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless
deborah-and-ian
 
Posts: 182
Joined: 2016-07-13 08:40

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby debiman » 2017-12-27 18:38

Bloom wrote:Since XFCE 4.12 still uses GTK2, it is a bit overkill to use several packages from Gnome 3 like Evince, EOG and File-Roller, since they will add GTK3 libraries to your system.

xfce4 has been relying on both gtk2 and gtk3 for a long time now, so the libraries are likely already installed.
i think they're planning on switching to gtk3 only, maybe you misunderstood that.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby Danielsan » 2017-12-27 20:47

Someone suggested me to install Xreader from Mint Apps, I found the repo:

http://packages.linuxmint.com/search.ph ... rd=xreader
If you can't fork then hold you in silence.
User avatar
Danielsan
 
Posts: 470
Joined: 2010-10-10 22:36

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-12-27 21:05

But how long will it work , if it works at all ?
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 4790
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby Danielsan » 2017-12-27 21:26

I can also compile it by myself as you can see there are very few dependencies to build the package:

https://github.com/linuxmint/xreader

However I have a FrankenDebian, it is Testing with pinning to Multimedia, Sid and Experimental, so no fear! 8)
If you can't fork then hold you in silence.
User avatar
Danielsan
 
Posts: 470
Joined: 2010-10-10 22:36

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby stevepusser » 2017-12-27 21:39

The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Notepadqq 1.2.0, Pale Moon 27.8.3, KeePassXC 2.3.1, Calligra 3.1, VLC 3.0.1, Firefox 59.0.2, Shotwell 28.2
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 9435
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby debiman » 2017-12-28 09:04

why are people so obsessed with pdf readers?
i use mupdf.
i also used to use xpdf.
both work & allow me to read pdfs, copy text from it etc.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby Bloom » 2017-12-28 09:28

I chose Atril because I wanted a general document viewer, not just pdf.
User avatar
Bloom
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 2017-11-11 12:23

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby Danielsan » 2017-12-28 19:08

debiman wrote:why are people so obsessed with pdf readers?
i use mupdf.
i also used to use xpdf.
both work & allow me to read pdfs, copy text from it etc.


I use both. In particular MuPDF is one of the best PDF-Reader, it is not a coincidence that is a project made by Artifex (Ghostscript), Xpdf is a fallback solution when you have problem to some exotic or old PDF.

The problem with the PDF readers, from my point of view, is because I want an integrated reader able to handle correctly all the kind of PDF. Evince is a good option but is too way much integrated in Gnome3, even if I have decent computer I would avoid to have a lot of runtime active because GTK2, GKT3, QT, etc...
If you can't fork then hold you in silence.
User avatar
Danielsan
 
Posts: 470
Joined: 2010-10-10 22:36

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby debiman » 2017-12-29 10:43

Danielsan wrote:The problem with the PDF readers, from my point of view, is because I want an integrated reader able to handle correctly all the kind of PDF.

ok, maybe my usage habits just don't include "all the kind of PDF", because i never ever had a problem opening a pdf with mupdf.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby None1975 » 2017-12-29 14:03

debiman wrote:i use mupdf.i also used to use xpdf.both work & allow me to read pdfs, copy text from it etc.

+1! I also use mupdf.
OS: Debian 9.4 / WM: Ratpoison
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files in github
User avatar
None1975
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 2015-11-29 18:23
Location: /dev/null

Re: XFCE-DESKTOP: Evince vs Atril

Postby Danielsan » 2017-12-29 16:06

debiman wrote:
Danielsan wrote:The problem with the PDF readers, from my point of view, is because I want an integrated reader able to handle correctly all the kind of PDF.

ok, maybe my usage habits just don't include "all the kind of PDF", because i never ever had a problem opening a pdf with mupdf.



You missed an importat part: I want an integrated reader. MuPDF is one of the best pdf reader, so far I saw it is able to rendering all the type of PDF (PDF/A, PDF/E, PDF/UA, PDF/VT, PDF/X) but not all the PDF reader for Linux are able to display correctly for example PDF-X1 type. By the way I don't remember that you can copy text from Mupdf or doing some other basic action, it is just a reader.
If you can't fork then hold you in silence.
User avatar
Danielsan
 
Posts: 470
Joined: 2010-10-10 22:36

Next

Return to Desktop & Multimedia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

fashionable