Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

screenshot hotkeys don't function in Stretch

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
shakman

screenshot hotkeys don't function in Stretch

#1 Post by shakman »

9.3 (Live from USB flash key), Gnome 3.22.2

Whole screen screenshot defined as "Ctrl + Print", under Settings - Keyboard, just as it was under Jessie (8.7, Live or fully installed) doesn't do anything at all-- no "shutter" sound, nothing in appropriate in clipboard to paste into Pinta (etc.)

This worked as expected under Jessie.

Not sure where to look to correct this "in"-action.

$ gnome-screenshot
produces the "shutter" sound but trying to paste into Pinta results in, "Image cannot be pasted,. The clipboard does not contain an image."

In this case the images ARE however saved to ~/Pictures (or ~/ when running as root)

As root, I additionally get this error message:
# gnome-screenshot
** Message: Unable to select area using GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11.

(Adding the option -a to the command makes the command NOT work for root, but still OK for unpriv. user)

Further,
$ gnome-screenshot -i
which brings up the dialog for gnome-screenshot, works as expected and selecting "Copy to clipboard" *after* the screenshot is taken, works perfectly, putting the image into the clipboard.

To be clear, using the Keyboard Shortcut does absolutely nothing.

Thanks

Dai_trying

Re: screenshot hotkeys don't function in Stretch

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

This doesn't really address your problem, but this is a script I use for taking screenshots when there is not a package installed (or available) I keep this (and a few others) on a pendrive to use when needed. It will take a screenshot (fullscreen) and save it to ~/Pictures/ with the date/time as a prefix to prevent overwriting a duplicate. It might be useful to you.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

Pic_Path="/home/$USER/Pictures/"
Pic_Name="ScreenShot"
nowtime=$(date +"%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S")

xwd -root | convert xwd:- ${Pic_Path}${nowtime}_${Pic_Name}.png
This second one will prompt you to select the window to take the snapshot of (useful if you just want one particular window in the image)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

Pic_Path="/home/$USER/Pictures/"
Pic_Name="ScreenShot"
nowtime=$(date +"%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S")

xwd -frame | convert xwd:- ${Pic_Path}${nowtime}_${Pic_Name}.png
It does rely on having imagemagik installed but that is often available on live-cd's (the ones I have tested mostly have it) and I prefer this method due to it being considerably smaller than some of the screenshot apps available but I understand many prefer a "proper app" for this.

It is quite trivial to connect these scripts to a keyboard combination for permanent use too.

shakman

#3 Post by shakman »

Thanks for sharing your alternative, much appreciated.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

I like that script, see this : http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 23#p662223
I made some slight mods, and now I just type 'scrnshot' , at the prompt, and
it takes the screen shot, makes a thumbnail, and uploads both.

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

@shakman
Your welcome.

@Garry
That's another good thing about this, the ability to customize it to use in other scripts does make it very versatile.