Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

getting mouse buttons to work

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
morgon

getting mouse buttons to work

#1 Post by morgon »

Hi,

I bought a very cheap no-name wireless mouse (the receiver shows up as 1ea7:0064 in lsusb should that matter) that basically works, but it has two extra buttons at the side that I would like to use for "forward" and "backward" in firefox.

When I run xev these buttons do not create any events, but when I run "xinput test 15" (15 being my mouse's id) pressing these buttons register as "button press 8" and "button press 9".

So my questions are:

It seems that these buttons should be usable under debian, why is it that xev does not seem to see them?

How can I make this buttons work as "forward" and "backward" in firefox or chrome.

Many thanks!

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: getting mouse buttons to work

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

https://www.mankier.com/4/libinput
Option "ButtonMapping" "string"

Sets the logical button mapping for this device, see XSetPointerMapping(3). The string must be a space-separated list of button mappings in the order of the logical buttons on the device, starting with button 1. The default mapping is "1 2 3 ... 32". A mapping of 0 deactivates the button. Multiple buttons can have the same mapping. Invalid mapping strings are discarded and the default mapping is used for all buttons. Buttons not specified in the user's mapping use the default mapping. See section Button Mapping for more details.

morgon

Re: getting mouse buttons to work

#3 Post by morgon »

Either you have not understood what my problem is or I am too stupid to understand your post, but I cannot see how this answers any of my questions.

Could you be more specific?

What mapping would I have to use?

EDIT:

I've now rebooted my system (for another reason) and lo and behold, everything works out of the box now. I did not change any configuration.

I don't get this anymore...

I would be very greatful if someone could explain to me what is going on here. When I initially plug the mouse-receiver in I get events via /dev/input/event15 as well as via "xinput test 15" but xev does not see these extra buttons and firefox also does not seem to receive them (or so it seems). Now after a reboot (with the receiver plugged in) xev sees the extra buttons and they work in firefox as I want them to.

In a way this is cool, but I get the feeling that I don't understand anything anymore...