Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Partially Solved] System Becomes Unresponsive at End of Vid

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [Partially Solved] System Becomes Unresponsive at End of

#16 Post by None1975 »

You can also try Smplayer. Much better than vlc.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Nili

#17 Post by Nili »

^ +1 mpv, mplayer2 or Smplayer front-end of these two ahead it is a good suggestion and recommendation.

I use mpv myself right to say I'm delighted with his performance. Or use both Smplayer/VLC, VLC/mpv why not? When one fails, try the other.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

Some applications like Handbrake or Bittorrent clients have options to shut down the system when finished. I think the only player I saw with that was mpc-qt, but maybe it's something in your xine-ui profile that's causing it to lock up. The usual procedure is to find where in your /home they are stored, back them up, and try starting with a fresh, clean profile.
MX Linux packager and developer

Tony G

#19 Post by Tony G »

OK, I installed MVP and SMPlayer. Of the two I prefer MVP. But neither of them are Xine.

Additionally, I tried mapping keystrokes to VLC to be more like Xine and I quickly ran into a problem. Xine uses single key keyboard shortcuts to toggle several frequently used settings, like full screen. VLC insists on different keys to turn full screen on and off.

Xine behaves the same after installing MVP and SMPlayer, it still locks up the system at the end of videos. So onward to the backport.

# echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/
home:/stevepassert/Debian_9.0/ /' >
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

I eventually got Synaptic to accept the backport repository. I’d rather not fully trust (import the key) any third party repository, so my intent was to update Xine and then remove the sources.list entry.

8B48AD6246925553GPG error: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... Debian_9.0 Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 164B4655667F68A8The repository 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... Debian_9.0 Release' is not signed.

I appreciate everyone’s efforts, but I will just get have to get used to VLC.

debiman

#20 Post by debiman »

it's mpv, not mvp.
and i'm 100% sure you can set the keybinds just the way you're used to with it.

i just looked, xine is still under active development.
i think you should tell them about your problems.

stevepusser

#21 Post by stevepusser »

You can use a repository without its key if you add [trusted=yes] after the the "deb" in its entry in your sources.list. But using the key is recommended. I think that the OBS, which is run by openSUSE after all, has built up enough trust after all this time...
MX Linux packager and developer

Tony G

#22 Post by Tony G »

stevepusser wrote:You can use a repository without its key if you add [trusted=yes] after the the "deb" in its entry in your sources.list. But using the key is recommended. I think that the OBS, which is run by openSUSE after all, has built up enough trust after all this time...
Ok, thanks for that. I tried it and Xine still locks up at the end of videos. I appreciate your time and effort. I'm giving up on this. When I have some time I will try a reinstall from the standard Gnome iso.