Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gnome-shell locking up

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
morgon

gnome-shell locking up

#1 Post by morgon »

Hi,

I run testing with gnome-shell and have again (not for the first time, unfortunately) seen this behaviour that all of a sudden (typically in the early hours) the whole desktop freezes, mouse does no longer react, music playback via mpd gets choppy, then disappears, then comes back again etc for several minutes until at last everything is fine again with top reporting absurd load-levels.

This must (or so I assume) be some run-away piece of gnome software that maybe indexes something, maybe does something else nobody care about but manages to bring the system to it's knees...

What exactly could this be?
How can I find out?
How can I stop this?
Do I have to at last abandon gnome because at the end of the day it's just a Linux version of windows?

Any feedback appreciated...

Many thanks!

debiman

Re: gnome-shell locking up

#2 Post by debiman »

morgon wrote:with top reporting absurd load-levels.
so what exactly does it report? which processes?

Wheelerof4te

#3 Post by Wheelerof4te »

You need to be more technical. Freezes may occur because of drivers, and nearly all drivers are contained in the Linux kernel.
morgon wrote:Do I have to at last abandon gnome because at the end of the day it's just a Linux version of windows?
No, and it's not. Try a different kernel for starters, or report on which processes take up the most memory.
Another issue might be with intel-microcode package that is recently ported to Testing. Some CPU's experience lock-ups with the new microcode.

deborah-and-ian

#4 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Also do a RAM test. I've usually had similar problems when one of the RAM sticks died.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless