Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trackball cursor movement fix angle of movement.

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
nikoff90

Trackball cursor movement fix angle of movement.

#1 Post by nikoff90 »

i am a almost 20 year veteran of the trackball explorer and have recently found the need for a replacement trackball. I have attempted to use a few and have found my way to the ELECOM's. I have a Giant and a deft on hand but have found that the standard cursor mapping to trackball movement to be unnatural rendering the use painful and inaccurate.

How and where in the configurations can I adjust the movement . At the moment a right left swipe moves cursor in close to a 45deg motion and what should be up and down is close to the opposite 45deg. I know there should be a way to do this system wide but don't have a clue where to start and have found nothing in my searches other than button mapping.

bw123

Re: Trackball cursor movement fix angle of movement.

#2 Post by bw123 »

nikoff90 wrote:
How and where in the configurations can I adjust the movement
If it is picked up as a mouse device in your Xorg log then that would be libinput on stretch. You can 'man libinput' from a terminal and get some info there.

I don't use a trackball, but for a plain old ps/2 mouse I found libinput really lame, especially on kde plasma. None of the mouse settings worked at all.

So to get the options back I installed xserver-xorg-input-evdev and created this:

Code: Select all

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-evdev-mouse.conf
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection
man evdev will explain all the options you can set like InvertX, InvertY, Calibration and the AxisMapping stuff if there is no GUI in your desktop environment to set the options you need. If the buttons show up as a keyboard device I guess you will have to do the same for that.

Or stick with libinput, it's simple and works but not a lot of options.
resigned by AI ChatGPT