Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby matheos96 » 2018-02-01 16:43

Hello guys! Yesterday I managed to finally install Debian on my Asus ROG GL752VW.
However, I can't get any graphics drivers to work properly...
To even get the OS to boot I have had to set "nomodeset" in /etc/default/grub and ofc this is not optimal as it always runs in "software rendering mode"...
I would very much like it to use my built in 960M instead...
I tried installing bumblebee which actually worked and I removed the nomodeset flag and it booted up fine. But after about 30 seconds the GPU fan went to 100% and never went down. I read others also have had this issue but I didn't quite catch if there is a concrete solution... Because of this being very annoying and tearing on my fan for no reason at all I did
Code: Select all
apt remove purge nvidia-driver
and same for bumblebee and all its dependencies.
So now I am back to "nomodeset" and "software rendering mode"...

Anyone got any idea what I should try next?

Thanks!
Last edited by matheos96 on 2018-02-03 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
matheos96
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 2018-02-01 16:27

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-02-01 18:31

NVIDIA is tricky to setup in Linux. Debian makes it "harder" by not including graphical driver installer. Did you see the wiki pages?
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee#Installation

My ultimate advice would be to save your laptop the trouble and risk. Install some other, easier distro like Ubuntu.
EDIT: Checked the laptop, and it's a pure gaming laptop. Those work best on Windows, and come with pre-installed specific software.
For Linux, older, refurbished laptops work best.
User avatar
Wheelerof4te
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2015-08-30 20:14

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby matheos96 » 2018-02-01 19:27

Ye I know about the laptop and all.I study Computer Engineering so I would really like to get this working properly.. And yes I saw the wikis. I had Kali before but never used it much but I know battling with firmware drivers and stuff is a pain with these laptops but I am confident there is a way. The bumblee driver thing did techincally work except for that stupid bug... I'm sure there's a solution to this and I hope someone who has solved it will see this :)
Also as a second year computer engineer student I am fine with everything not being as straightforward as having graphical installers and such :)
matheos96
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 2018-02-01 16:27

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby stevepusser » 2018-02-01 21:20

Recent Intel GPUs require non-free firmware in the linux-misc-nonfree package to function correctly.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/fir ... ux-nonfree

Have you checked out the firmware entry in the Debian wiki?

It would help if you installed inxi and gave us the output of
Code: Select all
inxi -F


in a code box like above, so we'd have a better idea of your hardware.

There are also Debian ISO images that include the non-free firmware by default to make things easier; those are easy to find with any good search engine. The firmware may fix the 100% CPU problem with Bumblebee pushing the rendered images onto the Intel GPU without acceleration.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kdenlive 18.08.1, Pale Moon 28.1.0, wine-staging 3.17, qBittorrent 4.1.3, Liquorix kernel 4.18-13, Audacity 2.3.0
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 9994
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby matheos96 » 2018-02-02 10:09

Output:
Code: Select all
System:    Host: debian Kernel: 4.9.0-5-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7  Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine:   Device: laptop System: ASUSTeK product: GL752VW v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: GL752VW v: 1.0
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: GL752VW.214 date: 04/18/2016
Battery    BAT0: charge: 39.0 Wh 95.7% condition: 40.8/48.0 Wh (85%)
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-6700HQ (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 2599 MHz 2: 2606 MHz 3: 2374 MHz
           4: 2639 MHz 5: 2633 MHz 6: 2807 MHz 7: 2597 MHz 8: 2325 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 530
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: fbdev (unloaded: modesetting,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@77.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9, 256 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-H HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.0-5-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 8260 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: a4:34:d9:99:21:95
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp3s0f1 state: down mac: 9c:5c:8e:1e:51:1d
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1128.2GB (0.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sdb model: HGST_HTS721010A9 size: 1000.2GB
           ID-2: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_MZNLF128 size: 128.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 12G used: 5.8G (53%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb3
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 212 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 986.6/7885.9MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5
matheos96
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 2018-02-01 16:27

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby stevepusser » 2018-02-02 18:17

Yes, you have a Skylake system, so you really need that firmware-misc-nonfree package for the Intel graphics to work correctly. Install it, restart, and let us know what happens. Fixing the Intel GPU is likely to fix your Bumblebee problem, too.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kdenlive 18.08.1, Pale Moon 28.1.0, wine-staging 3.17, qBittorrent 4.1.3, Liquorix kernel 4.18-13, Audacity 2.3.0
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 9994
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby Ardouos » 2018-02-02 20:34

I have a laptop that runs on an Intel HD 530 and Nvidia 960M. It is a pain to successfully to get running.

I found that installing the Liquorix kernel helps a lot, even if you do not use it.

Here is a dump of what I have done:

Code: Select all
    # Installed Debian
    # Backported kernel 4.14 and headers (and Liquorix kernel), you can use the Liquorix kernel too which works great; the issue with Liquorix is that you cannot install the headers as gcc7 is required whilst Debian stable has gcc6.
    # Backported Nvidia drivers
    # Backported Linux Non-free firmware
    # Installed virtualgl, it is needed for bumblebee to work, I do not understand why it is not in Debian's repos.
    # Installed bumblebee and bumblebee nvidia. Bumblebee configurations may vary on setup.
    # Added the boot parameter: acpi_osi="!Windows 2015" to grub. (This will allow X to work after installing bumblebee).
    # OPTIONAL: You can turn watchdog timer off by going into /etc/systemd/system.conf and changing watchdog timer to 0.
    # It is also noteworthy that I do not have tlp or laptop-mode-tools installed.
    # I have had some mild success by adding i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 as a boot parameter. It enables support for Intel HD Graphics, but I currently do not need it as I do not seem to have the issues with kernel 4.14+.
User avatar
Ardouos
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 2013-11-03 00:30
Location: Elicoor II

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby stevepusser » 2018-02-02 21:57

Sure, but you can install compatible Liquorix kernels and headers on Debian Stretch and Jessie, too. :D
https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2615.html

Be aware that you'll have to install the Nvidia driver from that repo or from stretch-backports for it to build on a 4.14 kernel.

On my particular Optimus Acer laptop with Skylake 520 and Nvidia 940MX, virtualgl is not necessary to get Bumblebee to work. YMMV. Plus we have an easy setup on the Debian-based MX Linux... 8)
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kdenlive 18.08.1, Pale Moon 28.1.0, wine-staging 3.17, qBittorrent 4.1.3, Liquorix kernel 4.18-13, Audacity 2.3.0
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 9994
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby matheos96 » 2018-02-03 09:26

Ardouos wrote:I have a laptop that runs on an Intel HD 530 and Nvidia 960M. It is a pain to successfully to get running.

I found that installing the Liquorix kernel helps a lot, even if you do not use it.

Here is a dump of what I have done:

Code: Select all
    # Installed Debian
    # Backported kernel 4.14 and headers (and Liquorix kernel), you can use the Liquorix kernel too which works great; the issue with Liquorix is that you cannot install the headers as gcc7 is required whilst Debian stable has gcc6.
    # Backported Nvidia drivers
    # Backported Linux Non-free firmware
    # Installed virtualgl, it is needed for bumblebee to work, I do not understand why it is not in Debian's repos.
    # Installed bumblebee and bumblebee nvidia. Bumblebee configurations may vary on setup.
    # Added the boot parameter: acpi_osi="!Windows 2015" to grub. (This will allow X to work after installing bumblebee).
    # OPTIONAL: You can turn watchdog timer off by going into /etc/systemd/system.conf and changing watchdog timer to 0.
    # It is also noteworthy that I do not have tlp or laptop-mode-tools installed.
    # I have had some mild success by adding i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 as a boot parameter. It enables support for Intel HD Graphics, but I currently do not need it as I do not seem to have the issues with kernel 4.14+.

I might be a computer engineer to be but I'm sorry but I did not quite catch any of that :P What is Liquorix kernel? And that seems like an awful lot, hope I won't have to do that. Maybe I will get the intel working first as mentioned above...

stevepusser wrote:Yes, you have a Skylake system, so you really need that firmware-misc-nonfree package for the Intel graphics to work correctly. Install it, restart, and let us know what happens. Fixing the Intel GPU is likely to fix your Bumblebee problem, too.

Hmm. I have the package downloaded and unziped already. Not sure what files that are relevant for me though or where to put them? I remember installing iwlwifi drivers to usr/lib/firmware/ but do all files go there? I checked the intel folder and could not make out what was what in there... any ideas?

EDIT: So I checked the /lib/firmware/i915/ folder and it already contains every single file that the nonfree package contains...? this is its contents:
Code: Select all
bxt_dmc_ver1_07.bin  kbl_dmc_ver1.bin     skl_dmc_ver1.bin    skl_guc_ver6.bin
bxt_dmc_ver1.bin     kbl_guc_ver9_14.bin  skl_guc_ver1.bin
bxt_guc_ver8_7.bin   skl_dmc_ver1_23.bin  skl_guc_ver4.bin
kbl_dmc_ver1_01.bin  skl_dmc_ver1_26.bin  skl_guc_ver6_1.bin

All of which are available in the nonfree package... Though I am not 100% sure these are the fws u meant?
matheos96
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 2018-02-01 16:27

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby Ardouos » 2018-02-03 11:40

matheos96 wrote:I might be a computer engineer to be but I'm sorry but I did not quite catch any of that :P What is Liquorix kernel? And that seems like an awful lot, hope I won't have to do that. Maybe I will get the intel working first as mentioned above...

It is a Linux kernel for Debian designed for desktop multimedia and gaming systems. I have linked you the website.

matheos96 wrote:Hmm. I have the package downloaded and unziped already. Not sure what files that are relevant for me though or where to put them? I remember installing iwlwifi drivers to usr/lib/firmware/ but do all files go there? I checked the intel folder and could not make out what was what in there... any ideas?

You just need to install it through the package manager. You add "non-free" to your sources.list and then install it with:
Code: Select all
apt update && apt install firmware-misc-nonfree -y
User avatar
Ardouos
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 2013-11-03 00:30
Location: Elicoor II

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby Ardouos » 2018-02-03 11:45

stevepusser wrote:Sure, but you can install compatible Liquorix kernels and headers on Debian Stretch and Jessie, too. :D
https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2615.html

Thanks, I'll look into it.
User avatar
Ardouos
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 2013-11-03 00:30
Location: Elicoor II

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby matheos96 » 2018-02-03 13:36

Ardouos wrote:
matheos96 wrote:I might be a computer engineer to be but I'm sorry but I did not quite catch any of that :P What is Liquorix kernel? And that seems like an awful lot, hope I won't have to do that. Maybe I will get the intel working first as mentioned above...

It is a Linux kernel for Debian designed for desktop multimedia and gaming systems. I have linked you the website.

matheos96 wrote:Hmm. I have the package downloaded and unziped already. Not sure what files that are relevant for me though or where to put them? I remember installing iwlwifi drivers to usr/lib/firmware/ but do all files go there? I checked the intel folder and could not make out what was what in there... any ideas?

You just need to install it through the package manager. You add "non-free" to your sources.list and then install it with:
Code: Select all
apt update && apt install firmware-misc-nonfree -y


Appears that I have it installed already though?
Code: Select all
matheos@debian:~$ sudo apt install firmware-misc-nonfree -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
firmware-misc-nonfree is already the newest version (20161130-3).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  dkms fakeroot glx-alternative-mesa libfakeroot libgldispatch0-nvidia
  libnvidia-eglcore libnvidia-glcore libopengl0-glvnd-nvidia libvulkan1
  libxnvctrl0 linux-headers-amd64 update-glx
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.


Will look in to the liquorice thing... Or can I just follow the tutorial that stevepusser linked? Is that relevant for me? The tutorial is one year old..


EDIT:
I know changed the boot parameter from nomodeset to nouveau.modeset=0. No idea why I did not have that from the beginning but now I think I am running the Intel HD 530 gfx as it should be at least... Hope it works all the time with this parameter. Maybe I changed it cuz it did not work 100% of the time before but nomodeset did...
matheos96
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 2018-02-01 16:27

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-02-03 14:44

Code: Select all
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  dkms fakeroot glx-alternative-mesa libfakeroot libgldispatch0-nvidia
  libnvidia-eglcore libnvidia-glcore libopengl0-glvnd-nvidia libvulkan1
  libxnvctrl0 linux-headers-amd64 update-glx

This doesn't look good.
User avatar
Wheelerof4te
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2015-08-30 20:14

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby matheos96 » 2018-02-03 15:00

Wheelerof4te wrote:
Code: Select all
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  dkms fakeroot glx-alternative-mesa libfakeroot libgldispatch0-nvidia
  libnvidia-eglcore libnvidia-glcore libopengl0-glvnd-nvidia libvulkan1
  libxnvctrl0 linux-headers-amd64 update-glx

This doesn't look good.


Care to elaborate?
matheos96
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 2018-02-01 16:27

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-02-03 15:20

You shouldn't have broken dependencies for linux-headers, dkms and glx. Some package(s), that you removed, caused them to be considered by apt for removal. What did you do before these packages started appearing there?
Better yet, what does your sources.list look like?
Code: Select all
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
User avatar
Wheelerof4te
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2015-08-30 20:14

Next

Return to Desktop & Multimedia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

fashionable