Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
matheos96

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD

#16 Post by matheos96 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:You shouldn't have broken dependencies for linux-headers, dkms and glx. Some package(s), that you removed, caused them to be considered by apt for removal. What did you do before these packages started appearing there?
Better yet, what does your sources.list look like?

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
When bumblebee was messing with my GPU fan and I tried to uninstall it I ran

sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove bumblebee

and when that did not stop the fan bug I also ran

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
Don't quote me on it being apt-get, could have done apt too... Don't know if there really is any difference?

sources.list

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.3.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20171209-12:11]/ stretch contrib main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.3.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20171209-12:11]/ stretch contrib main

deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main contrib non-free 

# stretch-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free

#Chrome
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

First of all, just make sure your Intel graphics are working correctly. Everything else depends on that. Forget about kernels for now.

Let's see if it is...install inxi and give the result of

inxi -G
It should look similar to mine with a Skylake 520, except you'll have different hardware:

Graphics: Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 520
Card-2: NVIDIA Device 179c
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.2 ) driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) version: 4.5 Mesa 13.0.6

When Bumblebee is working correctly, "optirun inxi -G" will show the openGL rendering switched to the Nvidia card.

The Liquorix kernel backport post is still good...I'm the one that maintains that repo (among others).
MX Linux packager and developer

matheos96

#18 Post by matheos96 »

stevepusser wrote:First of all, just make sure your Intel graphics are working correctly. Everything else depends on that. Forget about kernels for now.

Let's see if it is...install inxi and give the result of

inxi -G
It should look similar to mine with a Skylake 520, except you'll have different hardware:

Graphics: Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 520
Card-2: NVIDIA Device 179c
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.2 ) driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) version: 4.5 Mesa 13.0.6

When Bumblebee is working correctly, "optirun inxi -G" will show the openGL rendering switched to the Nvidia card.

The Liquorix kernel backport post is still good...I'm the one that maintains that repo (among others).
This is inxi -G (was already installed...)

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 530
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
What does it look like? Should I try bumblee again?

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

Are you still having to use nomodeset to boot with the modesetting driver that Debian uses as default? That seems at cross-purposes, and may be why you have trouble with it. I use the xserver-xorg-video-intel "intel" driver myself with my Optimus setup. To use that, make sure that package is installed and create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file with the contents:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option      "AccelMethod"    "sna"
    Option      "TearFree"    "true"
EndSection
and restart. Inxi should show that you're now using the "intel" driver.

matheos96

#20 Post by matheos96 »

stevepusser wrote:Are you still having to use nomodeset to boot with the modesetting driver that Debian uses as default? That seems at cross-purposes, and may be why you have trouble with it. I use the xserver-xorg-video-intel "intel" driver myself with my Optimus setup. To use that, make sure that package is installed and create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file with the contents:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option      "AccelMethod"    "sna"
    Option      "TearFree"    "true"
EndSection
and restart. Inxi should show that you're now using the "intel" driver.
I will try it tomorrow. I did remove all my boot"flags" except quiet when I had bumblebee if u meant that. So together with bumblebee I did not have nomodeset

matheos96

#21 Post by matheos96 »

Okay so now I have given ur tip a test.

First I wanna mention I know realized that indeed the computer rarely boots when using nouveau.modeset=0 instead of nomodeset. Sometimes it does but it seems VERY random and rare.

Turns out, xserver-xorg-video-intel was already installed and the latest version... The file however, did not exist. So I created it and rebooted. (Using nouveau.modeset=0 still).
I got to the login screen but when it was about to show the desktop it typically went black (this is what always happens if I don't use nomodeset). So I put nomodeset as boot option instead of nouveau.modeset=0 and rebooted.
Now I didn't even get into X... Verbose boot stopped at a screen saying "FAILED to start Light Desktop Manager"... So to even get it booted in anyway again, after trying your fix, I had to set "nomodeset" in /etc/default/grub and also
rm -rf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

So I am back to square one so to speak...

Ardouos

#22 Post by Ardouos »

Using Steve's Liquorix repo, it is working great. Thanks!

$ uname -a
Linux pcspec-lt 4.14.0-17.1-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT liquorix 4.14-23~obs (2018-02-05) x86_64 GNU/Linux
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

Ardouos wrote:Using Steve's Liquorix repo, it is working great. Thanks!

$ uname -a
Linux pcspec-lt 4.14.0-17.1-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT liquorix 4.14-23~obs (2018-02-05) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Thanks to openSUSE for providing the build farm and hosting the repo for free! I just edit a few lines in a few files in the Liquorix debian folder, run a command to regenerate the files in /debian from the changed defines, regenerate the source files with "debuild -S -uc -us -d", upload them and it does the rest. If someone wants to do it locally, the recipe is

/debian/config/defines: change where it reads "gcc-7" to "gcc". This means it will use the default gcc for your release.

Run

PYTHONHASHSEED=0 debian/bin/gencontrol.py
to regenerate your files from the new defines.

Build packages with

debuild -uc -us -jX
where X=numbers of cores you wish to devote to the build. This leaves out creating a new version in the changelog, though.

matheos96

Re: Graphics Drivers 960M & Intel HD [Solved-ish]

#24 Post by matheos96 »

Hello guys. A quick update. I got fed up and got rid of debian. These optimus computers really are pain with linux... Anyway, I managed to get Manjaro Linux working using its architect-iso. The way I got bumblebee working on there might have worked on debian too... who knows. But I am perfectly happy with my Manjaro now so I won't switch back. It's working without problems but if anyone wanna know how I made it work it can be read here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cant-get-in ... =matheos96

Hope it helps someone with a similar computer :)

Wheelerof4te

#25 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Glad that you solved your problem. Manjaro is good for people who need quick Arch and AUR features. In my experience, it is a very buggy, duct-tape patched version of Arch that is seriously understaffed for what it tries to do.