Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

(Solved) GNOME slow login because of pulseaudio

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
sillen102

(Solved) GNOME slow login because of pulseaudio

#1 Post by sillen102 »

Hi.

I'm having an issue with logging in to my GNOME session taking a very long time. By chance I was fiddling with pulseaudio and to make a long story short I found that disabling auto start of pulseaudio fixed the login issue. BUT then I have no sound. Or at least I have to start pulseaudio manually each time I log in (and I really don't want to have to do that).

Is there any fix for this issue? I have tried different versions of pulseaudio both the one on Debian Stable and Buster and besides not being able to disable the auto start on the version from Buster the problem is the same on both. As soon as I have pulseaudio running as it should the login takes over 1 minute from the time I enter my password in GDM (sometimes it even hangs completely and I have to switch to another TTY and do a reboot). But disabling pulseaudio makes the login almost instant.

I have also tried running a script and put it in ~/.profile that sleeps for 5-10 seconds and then starts pulseaudio but then it seems as the whole login process just freezes for the duration of the sleep before then taking the over 1 minute so I had no luck with that either.

Anyone with some wise advice?
Last edited by sillen102 on 2018-02-08 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

Wheelerof4te

Re: GNOME slow login because of pulseaudio

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

That should not happen on default GBOME install of Stretch. Pulseaudio is a bit buggy, but the behaviour you're experiencing is abnormal.
Not much can be done without posting your hardware specs.
Post the output of

Code: Select all

lspci -k

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Also look for error messages. These may help

Code: Select all

journalctl -b -p 3
dmesg |grep pulse
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

sillen102

#4 Post by sillen102 »

Well reinstalled Debian and now I don't have the issue anymore. Don't know what caused it (probably some config file that is reset now). But thanks anyway.

sillen102

Re: (Solved) GNOME slow login because of pulseaudio

#5 Post by sillen102 »

The problem did return again. I don't know why really but the solution I finally found was to change autospawn to no in /etc/pulse/client.conf and then add the line "pulseaudio -D" in ~/.profile.

Wheelerof4te

Re: (Solved) GNOME slow login because of pulseaudio

#6 Post by Wheelerof4te »

The reason you should have posted your hardware specs is that it may be a bug with your particular sound card which missconfigs pulse on Stretch. It's important for other users, as well.