Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED - Trying To Replace LXCE With MATE In 9.3.0

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Caitlin

SOLVED - Trying To Replace LXCE With MATE In 9.3.0

#1 Post by Caitlin »

I burned a CD for Stretch 9.3.0, and attempted to use it to replace 9.0.0. I erased my root partition and installed 9.3.0 over it. (Should I have burned the DVD instead?)

The install went well and I was able to boot. I used Synaptic to install mate-desktop-environment-core, and went to re-log-on. I was NOT given a choice of which desktop environment to use; it just dumped me into LXCE again. (It's as if MATE was installed but logon doesn't KNOW it's been installed.) (Should I have installed a different package, like mate-desktop-environment instead?)

Then I tried purging mate-desktop-environment-core and installing mate-desktop-environment, but it got stuck -- about 8 broken or held packages.

I'm hoping I can back up and just do that part again instead of having to reinstall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Caitlin
Last edited by Caitlin on 2018-02-10 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Trying To Replace LXCE With MATE In 9.3.0

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Standard updates give you a current Debian release, so I don't get the reason for a reinstall in the first place.
but it got stuck -- about 8 broken or held packages.
And what is the message?
MX Linux packager and developer

Caitlin

#3 Post by Caitlin »

NEW NEWS -- on the login screen, I found a tiny icon tucked way up in the upper right corner that allowed me to select a desktop. I selected MATE and it worked just fine.

But I de-installed mate-desktop-environment-core and installed mate-desktop-environment, at which point Synaptic refused to continue, saying I had broken and/or held packages.

Further research told me I should have just installed mate (although this was on an Ubuntu forum).

As to why a reinstall rather than an upgrade/dist-upgrade? Because it allowed me to change the partitions around, set up a root user account at install time, fix some configuration files I had messed up, and so on.

I suppose I could just leave it as it is now, but I don't like the idea of broken packages lying around. I like a clean system.

As to what I am asking you guys for at this point I'm not sure.

Caitlin

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

Synaptic had a menu item which fixes broken packages.

Synaptic>Edit>Fix Broken Packages

Caitlin

#5 Post by Caitlin »

I tried Edit -> Fix Broken Packages and it seemed to work.

Thanks, everyone.

Caitlin