SOLVED - Trying To Replace LXCE With MATE In 9.3.0

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

SOLVED - Trying To Replace LXCE With MATE In 9.3.0

Postby Caitlin » 2018-02-09 16:03

I burned a CD for Stretch 9.3.0, and attempted to use it to replace 9.0.0. I erased my root partition and installed 9.3.0 over it. (Should I have burned the DVD instead?)

The install went well and I was able to boot. I used Synaptic to install mate-desktop-environment-core, and went to re-log-on. I was NOT given a choice of which desktop environment to use; it just dumped me into LXCE again. (It's as if MATE was installed but logon doesn't KNOW it's been installed.) (Should I have installed a different package, like mate-desktop-environment instead?)

Then I tried purging mate-desktop-environment-core and installing mate-desktop-environment, but it got stuck -- about 8 broken or held packages.

I'm hoping I can back up and just do that part again instead of having to reinstall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Caitlin
Last edited by Caitlin on 2018-02-10 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
Caitlin

Re: Trying To Replace LXCE With MATE In 9.3.0

Postby stevepusser » 2018-02-09 18:19

Standard updates give you a current Debian release, so I don't get the reason for a reinstall in the first place.
but it got stuck -- about 8 broken or held packages.
And what is the message?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.3, Pale Moon 27.7.2, Yacreader 9.0rc1, Calligra 3.1, VLC 3.0.0, Firefox 58.0.2, QMPlay2 17.12.31
stevepusser

Postby Caitlin » 2018-02-09 18:54

NEW NEWS -- on the login screen, I found a tiny icon tucked way up in the upper right corner that allowed me to select a desktop. I selected MATE and it worked just fine.

But I de-installed mate-desktop-environment-core and installed mate-desktop-environment, at which point Synaptic refused to continue, saying I had broken and/or held packages.

Further research told me I should have just installed mate (although this was on an Ubuntu forum).

As to why a reinstall rather than an upgrade/dist-upgrade? Because it allowed me to change the partitions around, set up a root user account at install time, fix some configuration files I had messed up, and so on.

I suppose I could just leave it as it is now, but I don't like the idea of broken packages lying around. I like a clean system.

As to what I am asking you guys for at this point I'm not sure.

Caitlin
Caitlin

Postby arochester » 2018-02-09 19:04

Synaptic had a menu item which fixes broken packages.

Synaptic>Edit>Fix Broken Packages
"Something to be aware of: Debian is a core or source distribution. This means there are many Debian-based distributions. THEY ARE NOT DEBIAN." - oswaldkelso
arochester

Postby Caitlin » 2018-02-10 02:24

I tried Edit -> Fix Broken Packages and it seemed to work.

Thanks, everyone.

Caitlin
Caitlin

Return to Desktop & Multimedia