Weird keyboard problem

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Weird keyboard problem

Postby davidss » 2018-02-16 08:42

Hello,

Today something strange is happening to my computer: it behaves as it the right arrow key was continually pressed, but not in every application:

* In Firefox, if I press Ctrl it starts zooming out. Also, if the page is wider than the window, it scrolls to the right on its own. It interferes with my web-based email and other stuff I do. But not in the URL bar, for example.
* In Libreoffice spreadsheets, the active cell goes to the right forever. So it makes them unusable.
* If I open the KDE menu on the left bottom corner, it cycles through the categories (Favorites/Applications/etc.) when I put the mouse on them.
* But, not in terminals: I can write a few characters, move the cursor to the left, and it stays there.
* Also, no problems in any of two or three text editors I have tried.
* I used screenkey to find if anything was being pressed; nothing at all (other that what I typed, that is).

In any case, I unplugged keyboard and mouse, but no changes. I also logged out and later restarted, to no avail. To me it looks like software, not hardware, but it wasn't happening yesterday when I left the computer.

I am baffled. I would appreciate any ideas... Thanks!

(EDIT: Debian 9.2 with KDE)
davidss

Re: Weird keyboard problem

Postby davidss » 2018-02-16 12:35

... and after preparing for a complete reinstall (I was already at the partition setup stage), I aborted just to go back to see my current partition configuration... all is working well now. I only needed one more restart (!?!)
davidss

Postby Thorny » 2018-02-16 13:21

davidss wrote:... and after preparing for a complete reinstall (I was already at the partition setup stage), I aborted just to go back to see my current partition configuration... all is working well now. I only needed one more restart (!?!)

That's interesting, your original partition configuration should have shown up at the partition setup stage.

I don't have a clue what it could have been, perhaps some kind of Debian magic.
Thorny

Postby nikobit » 2018-02-18 20:54

Had same problem with Microsoft Sculpt keyboard. It kept to misprint one symbol while typing anything. Sometimes it lead to weird results. As a matter of fact it was 'F2' jammed in a way I couldn't notice without thorough investigation. The Function keys itself are smaller than others. That is not easy to observe.
Kernel : x86_64 Linux 4.17.0-3-amd64
Distribution : Debian testing buster
Desktop Environment : GNOME
nikobit

Return to Desktop & Multimedia