Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Weird keyboard problem

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
davidss

Weird keyboard problem

#1 Post by davidss »

Hello,

Today something strange is happening to my computer: it behaves as it the right arrow key was continually pressed, but not in every application:

* In Firefox, if I press Ctrl it starts zooming out. Also, if the page is wider than the window, it scrolls to the right on its own. It interferes with my web-based email and other stuff I do. But not in the URL bar, for example.
* In Libreoffice spreadsheets, the active cell goes to the right forever. So it makes them unusable.
* If I open the KDE menu on the left bottom corner, it cycles through the categories (Favorites/Applications/etc.) when I put the mouse on them.
* But, not in terminals: I can write a few characters, move the cursor to the left, and it stays there.
* Also, no problems in any of two or three text editors I have tried.
* I used screenkey to find if anything was being pressed; nothing at all (other that what I typed, that is).

In any case, I unplugged keyboard and mouse, but no changes. I also logged out and later restarted, to no avail. To me it looks like software, not hardware, but it wasn't happening yesterday when I left the computer.

I am baffled. I would appreciate any ideas... Thanks!

(EDIT: Debian 9.2 with KDE)

davidss

Re: Weird keyboard problem

#2 Post by davidss »

... and after preparing for a complete reinstall (I was already at the partition setup stage), I aborted just to go back to see my current partition configuration... all is working well now. I only needed one more restart (!?!)

Thorny

#3 Post by Thorny »

davidss wrote:... and after preparing for a complete reinstall (I was already at the partition setup stage), I aborted just to go back to see my current partition configuration... all is working well now. I only needed one more restart (!?!)
That's interesting, your original partition configuration should have shown up at the partition setup stage.

I don't have a clue what it could have been, perhaps some kind of Debian magic.

nikobit

#4 Post by nikobit »

Had same problem with Microsoft Sculpt keyboard. It kept to misprint one symbol while typing anything. Sometimes it lead to weird results. As a matter of fact it was 'F2' jammed in a way I couldn't notice without thorough investigation. The Function keys itself are smaller than others. That is not easy to observe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.10.0-19-amd64
  • Shell: bash
  • DE: GNOME 3.38.4
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 @ 8x 4GHz
  • GPU: NVE4
  • RAM: 2384MiB / 15925MiB
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~