Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 XFCE 64 bits - Screen flickering

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
MatiasBarrios

Re: Debian 9 XFCE 64 bits - Screen flickering

#16 Post by MatiasBarrios »

debiman wrote:^ so does it work now?
MatiasBarrios wrote:I read you cannot use Netflix on Chromium. If thats true te n there you have a deal breaker and a reason for using it instead of Chromium
it does not seem to be impossible with firefox.
it does not seem to be impossible with chromium.

anyhow, for me it is a dealbreaker to a) install closed-source software, and b) let a commercial, quasi-monopolistic entity perform intrusive & potentially destructive actions on my machine without even informing me about it.
this goes for google software itself, but also for its installation.
latest example.
I read there :

"You will need that plugin installed to chromium for it to work. You might also add the google talk plugin and pdf plugin while you're at it, but if you do so you pretty much just installed chrome as those are some of the primary differences."

Anyway, I posted here because I also like open source software and I wanted help with my flickering issue, not a speech about an "evil company" (?).

Having said that, Google offers services " for free..." which I could not economically afford, for instance Google Photos, and for me thats a good deal. Yeah, Google know exactly what I think, where I live, where I wok and who I hang up with, but honestly I don't care.

Now having said that. I tried disabling composition for the desktop, but the issue is still there. I can "google" ( hehe... ) but I found a myriad solutions for this.

I will start trying all one by one. If started this thread thinking the cause of this was already known since it seems this flickering thingy comes from so long ago.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

MatiasBarrios

#17 Post by MatiasBarrios »

What do you guys think if I update the Kernel as posted here :

https://linuxhint.com/how-to-upgrade-ke ... om-source/

It sounds like a good idea to get rid of the flickering. ( Maybe )

arcticdoc

#18 Post by arcticdoc »

I'm not an expert. But I had the flickering problem with XFCE & Debian 9 64 bit. And updating the kernel seems to have fixed the issue for me. (My kernel version is now 4.19.13.)
So, thank you. :)

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

Since that kernel has known security holes and is not LTS, I'd suggest you upgrade to an even newer one. But it's your system.
MX Linux packager and developer

kevinthefixer

#20 Post by kevinthefixer »

For me the clear and obvious solution to any problem with on-board Intel graphics is the addition of a decent graphics card. Since I and ATI once had a disagreement regarding how business should be conducted, that would leave me with the choice of an NVidia card, which is exactly what I'm using at this very moment. I have not yet found a reason to even install the proprietary driver for it, gamers might need it but Nouveau has been working just fine for me so far.