Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing X/KDE/Gnome on an iMac

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Freddie

Installing X/KDE/Gnome on an iMac

#1 Post by Freddie »

Hi! I recently was given an iMac DV (http://www.apple-history.com/?page=gall ... &order=ASC for specs). I had little use for the OS that was on there (OS 9) and so have just installed Debian on it (debian-31r0a-powerpc-netinst.iso). I am very happy with it so far, however I like to install either KDE/Gnome on it, as my command line skills are at best rusty.
So, I would like to know what I need to do to be able to be install either of these. I have already tried once to install x-windows-system and complete fouled up, not knowing my graphics card address or what port my mouse was on (I did not see any options for a USB port), which has caused me to reinstall Debian.
Can anyone walk me through the steps required to install either KDE or Gnome?
I have looked around on the internet but it seems that there is a lack of documentation for linux on the Mac.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

jamon

#2 Post by jamon »

to install gnome try this:

Login as root and do
apt-get install x-window-system gnome gdm

Freddie

#3 Post by Freddie »

Do I need to know anything about the hardware? As when I tried:
apt-get install x-window-system I got asked a lot of questions about my mouse driver and my graphics card address.

Freddie

#4 Post by Freddie »

Well, I am stuck at the install process, I seleted 'YES' when it asked me if I wanted it to detect my video hardware but it does not seemed to have worked at all, as it is asking me for the address of my video card, which is required for PPC users and I have no idea what it is. Anyone know?

Harold

#5 Post by Harold »

Try posting your question to http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/