Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

VLC crashing with segfault on Debian 8

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
stevepusser

Re: VLC crashing with segfault on Debian 8

#16 Post by stevepusser »

I was actually referring to debiman's line in post #4
haha, any other distro and people would be screaming "Not Debian" already!
Usually aptitude with its multiple solutions installing -dev files can root out dmo libraries and replace them with the Debian ones. I'm talking about packages such as libavcodec-dev, libvlc-dev, and libvlccore-dev.
MX Linux packager and developer

extraspecialbitter

#17 Post by extraspecialbitter »

stevepusser wrote:I was actually referring to debiman's line in post #4
haha, any other distro and people would be screaming "Not Debian" already!
Usually aptitude with its multiple solutions installing -dev files can root out dmo libraries and replace them with the Debian ones. I'm talking about packages such as libavcodec-dev, libvlc-dev, and libvlccore-dev.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't married to vlc, so once I discovered that I wouldn't be able to easily untangle myself from its dmo dependencies, and that smplayer would do everything I needed it to do, the die was cast.

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

OK...anyway, my own multimedia repo is explained here, and is much safer than DMO: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127574

Currently it has SMPlayer 18.2.0 with mplayer 1.3 & mpv 0.28 for its backends.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#19 Post by debiman »

extraspecialbitter wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't married to vlc, so once I discovered that I wouldn't be able to easily untangle myself from its dmo dependencies, and that smplayer would do everything I needed it to do, the die was cast.
glad you're satisfied, but the problems might come back in the future.
the only proper solution i see is

a) get a list of ALL packages (not applications) supplied by the debian-multimedia repo
b) force-uninstall them all
c) reinstall those that are still needed
d) honed to perfection: mark those re-installed as dependencies instead of explicitely installed

This is based on my rudimentary apt knowledge; i'm sure there's a more elegant way.

btw, for a long while now there's been talk about this particular repo "causing more harm than good".
i think jessie-backports is a better solution.

extraspecialbitter

#20 Post by extraspecialbitter »

Ultimately my plan is to upgrade to Debian 9 and to make a fresh start in terms of what repos I use when downloading software. This might be sooner than I expect, as more broken applications could be just an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" away.