VLC crashing with segfault on Debian 8

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Re: VLC crashing with segfault on Debian 8

Postby stevepusser » 2018-02-26 02:03

I was actually referring to debiman's line in post #4

haha, any other distro and people would be screaming "Not Debian" already!

Usually aptitude with its multiple solutions installing -dev files can root out dmo libraries and replace them with the Debian ones. I'm talking about packages such as libavcodec-dev, libvlc-dev, and libvlccore-dev.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: GIMP 2.10.2, Pale Moon 27.9.3, wine-staging 3.10, QuiteRSS 0.18.11, Linux kernel 4.17, Krita 4.0.4
stevepusser

Postby extraspecialbitter » 2018-02-26 02:09

stevepusser wrote:I was actually referring to debiman's line in post #4

haha, any other distro and people would be screaming "Not Debian" already!

Usually aptitude with its multiple solutions installing -dev files can root out dmo libraries and replace them with the Debian ones. I'm talking about packages such as libavcodec-dev, libvlc-dev, and libvlccore-dev.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't married to vlc, so once I discovered that I wouldn't be able to easily untangle myself from its dmo dependencies, and that smplayer would do everything I needed it to do, the die was cast.
extraspecialbitter

Postby stevepusser » 2018-02-26 21:24

OK...anyway, my own multimedia repo is explained here, and is much safer than DMO: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127574

Currently it has SMPlayer 18.2.0 with mplayer 1.3 & mpv 0.28 for its backends.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: GIMP 2.10.2, Pale Moon 27.9.3, wine-staging 3.10, QuiteRSS 0.18.11, Linux kernel 4.17, Krita 4.0.4
stevepusser

Postby debiman » 2018-02-27 05:16

extraspecialbitter wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't married to vlc, so once I discovered that I wouldn't be able to easily untangle myself from its dmo dependencies, and that smplayer would do everything I needed it to do, the die was cast.

glad you're satisfied, but the problems might come back in the future.
the only proper solution i see is

a) get a list of ALL packages (not applications) supplied by the debian-multimedia repo
b) force-uninstall them all
c) reinstall those that are still needed
d) honed to perfection: mark those re-installed as dependencies instead of explicitely installed

This is based on my rudimentary apt knowledge; i'm sure there's a more elegant way.

btw, for a long while now there's been talk about this particular repo "causing more harm than good".
i think jessie-backports is a better solution.
debiman

Postby extraspecialbitter » 2018-02-27 12:08

Ultimately my plan is to upgrade to Debian 9 and to make a fresh start in terms of what repos I use when downloading software. This might be sooner than I expect, as more broken applications could be just an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" away.
extraspecialbitter

Previous

Return to Desktop & Multimedia