Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Keyboard shortcut keeps reverting in GNOME 3.22.3

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
deepee

Keyboard shortcut keeps reverting in GNOME 3.22.3

#1 Post by deepee »

After installing Debian Stretch with GNOME 3.22.3, I went into Settings --> Keyboard and assigned Alt+Tab to "switch windows". That worked, except that the shortcut can randomly change to "switch application" (like Super+Tab) and can also randomly switch back. Hunting around on the web, I followed a suggestion to set org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/keyboard/active to false in dconf, but this didn't help.

The only thing that helps is restarting the desktop (Alt+F2, r), sometimes twice, to get back the desired keybinding. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Deepee

deepee

Re: Keyboard shortcut keeps reverting in GNOME 3.22.3

#2 Post by deepee »

I think I've figured this out. The problem was that "switch application" is by default mapped to both Super+Tab and Alt+Tab. So assigning something else to Alt+Tab in the Keyboard settings will have the bizarre effect of making Alt+Tab randomly switch between the two bindings.

The solution is to change the settings directly. In dconf, I changed /org/gnome/desktop/wm/keybindings/switch-applications to just Super+Tab and /org/gnome/desktop/wm/keybindings/switch-windows to Alt+Tab and the same for the "backwards" versions.