Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Volume notification steals focus from panel slider

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
marc1uk

[SOLVED] Volume notification steals focus from panel slider

#1 Post by marc1uk »

Hi all,
I'm running Debian 9 with XFCE and have the PulseAudio panel applet running, with notifications enabled.
The notifications are handy to give visual feedback of volume level when changing the volume with the keyboard media keys.
The panel applet has a popout slider from which the volume can be changed with the mouse, which is also nice.
Unfortunately, though, the two don't play nice together, despite both being part of the Pulseaudio panel plugin. The notifications and the panel slider occupy the same position on the screen, so that as soon as the slider is touched - changing the volume - the notification bubble pops up over the top of it, stealing focus. Unfortunately, this renders the slider useless.

Does anyone know if there's a fix for this? It seems bizarre to have two basic features counteract each other in this way.
Last edited by marc1uk on 2018-03-22 03:47, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: Volume notification steals focus from Pulseaudio slider

#2 Post by bw123 »

drag the notification out of the way?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

marc1uk

#3 Post by marc1uk »

The notification balloon isn't draggable.

ruffwoof

#4 Post by ruffwoof »

Something like (I'm not running xfce but recall getting rid of the volume bubble)

Settings->Session and Startup->Application Autostart and disable the xfce volume daemon

marc1uk

#5 Post by marc1uk »

I suppose that would work to disable the notification, but the notification has it's uses (e.g. when using multimedia keys).
Ideally i'd like to keep both features, but not them interfere - e.g. not have the notification bubble show when using the slider. Or have the notification not steal focus.
Maybe i'm just asking to both have my cake and eat it. :|

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

The notification app is probably a separate program from the vol applet, so it needs tweaking. Look for it's name with $ ps ax | grep notify and read the man page. Or maybe try websearch for 'xfce notification position' there's almost always a way.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

marc1uk

#7 Post by marc1uk »

You're right, the sound applet is xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin, which sends the notifications through to xfce4-notifyd. Unfortunately neither are particularly configurable; i guess the most sensible solution would be for xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin not to send notification triggers when the slider is used, but perhaps that's easier said than done. I've raised the issue on the xfce4 bug tracker.
in the meantime, i guess disabling one of the two :( or switching notification daemon to something like notify-osd, which has clickthrough so shouldn't steal focus (probably) are the workarounds...

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#8 Post by None1975 »

marc1uk wrote:You're right, the sound applet is xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin, which sends the notifications through to xfce4-notifyd.
Instead of xfce4-notifyd, you can use dunst. This is a lightweight replacement for the notification-daemons provided by most desktop environments.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

marc1uk

#9 Post by marc1uk »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd prefer a fix than a replacement, really. And it seems i'm in luck! This bug is in xfce-pulseaudio-plugin v2.4, it was fixed in v2.5! :D