Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Search in Dolphin without baloo

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
erore

Search in Dolphin without baloo

#1 Post by erore »

Is there any way to make search working in Dolphin without that crappy baloo indexer? I am still amazed how such a terribly programmed thing can get into the stable release of debian but that is a different topic.

I go to system settings, disable search which disables baloo but it also disables any search in Dolphin. I am not really interested in searching for file content and even in that case, I think it could be done without a preexisting database.
I know I can always use find in terminal but still, since i am in gui and it uses Dolphin I would hope it is capable of file search without having to use a crappy indexer. Even windows explorer can do that when Windows search is disabled...

Thank you.

bw123

Re: Search in Dolphin without baloo

#2 Post by bw123 »

kfind still works, I don't know if you can integrate it into the file manager or not.

I haven't had any problems with baloo, but I usually use it from krunner by hitting alt-F2 I think dolphin does need it enabled.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Hallvor »

Sorry, I don't know the answer. I guess a different option would be to use Konqueror or Krusader as file managers. (They are both very good.)
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Dolphin here has "Find" in the top panel and works ok. Search is disabled in System Settings. I have Kfind installed and possibly that is what gives Dolphin the functionality or maybe it's some other package. This is in Plasma 5.12 but I vaguely recall it worked in 5.8 as well.
Usually I just hit F4 in Dolphin and use locate in the integrated terminal. It seems faster when searching many directories or the whole system.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!