Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

XFCE - can't shutdown/reboot

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kdeready

XFCE - can't shutdown/reboot

#1 Post by kdeready »

I installed XFCE on Sid. First issue was I couldn't open Synaptic - that was because there was no policy kit installed. I installed policykit-1-gnome and it worked. But I still can't shutdown/reboot - nothing happens when I do that.
I tried starting XFCE through LightDM and startx. What am I missing?

stevepusser

Re: XFCE - can't shutdown/reboot

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Run stable if you really want things to "just work".
MX Linux packager and developer

kdeready

#3 Post by kdeready »

Same thing happens in Stretch, I just checked.

First shutdown attempt - nothing happens.
Next attempts:
Received error when trying to log out
Session manager must be in idle state when requesting a shutdown
EDIT: Solution found. Installing package x11-xserver-utils fixes the problem. I wonder why it's not marked as a dependency. Same with policykit-1-gnome.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

In Stretch, xfce4-session depends on it. I can't really see how you installed xfce4 without it.

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

stevepusser wrote:In Stretch, xfce4-session depends on it. I can't really see how you installed xfce4 without it.
Not an expert here, but I've been using Stretch and XFCE for quite some time and have never had a problem with shutdown/reboot.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

kdeready

#6 Post by kdeready »

stevepusser wrote:In Stretch, xfce4-session depends on it. I can't really see how you installed xfce4 without it.
It doesn't, it's recommended.

Another issue with XFCE someone might have:
If xfce4-notifyd service doesn't start for you and you're using startx instead of a desktop manager, don't create a .xinitrc file with just "exec startxfce4" in it. Instead, copy /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to your home folder, rename to .xinitrc and add "exec startxfce4" at the end of it. Or, if XFCE is you only DE, you don't need .xinitrc in your home folder at all.

Kali93

#7 Post by Kali93 »

I got this error message yesterday on a fresh debian 9 installation with xfce. X11-xserver-utils is installed. The last times the system shut down with no issues.

What's a bit strange. When shutting down last week there where some messages on the black screen written from top left to bottom right, just before the pc went off. The messages are gone now and the PC immediately switches off. What's the normal behavoir? Just off without messages? Maybe it's related to saving the last session, cause this is the only thing I have changed.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

kdeready wrote:
It doesn't, it's recommended.

Another issue with XFCE someone might have:
If xfce4-notifyd service doesn't start for you and you're using startx instead of a desktop manager, don't create a .xinitrc file with just "exec startxfce4" in it. Instead, copy /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to your home folder, rename to .xinitrc and add "exec startxfce4" at the end of it. Or, if XFCE is you only DE, you don't need .xinitrc in your home folder at all.
Debian installs recommended packages by default. If you're going to change that manually and then wonder why something won't work, you should at least mention that when asking for help.

spacex

#9 Post by spacex »

I stick with stevepusser on this. Unless you actually want the learning curve by fixing things post-install, you should stick with the default install. You can't do a minimal install without the recommends, and expect that everything will work properly OOTB. There is a reason why packages are recommended. In many cases you will lack functionality without them. If you do know exactly which ones you need, or don't need, or want to learn by trial and error, go ahead. More power to you. But don't complaint about it :)