Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't move desktop icons

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
gordon24186

Can't move desktop icons

#1 Post by gordon24186 »

So I got a desktop that I finally got up and going and decided to wipe the windows out of it and use our Favorite Linux, Debian! After getting the graphics set and all that jazz, found out to NOT SELECT Lightdm for a display manager. Figured out how to get the gdm3 to work. Seems like after a fresh install no matter what enviornment you use (KDE XFCE, GNOME) what ever you first log in with, it uses those similarities. Anywho, went to tweak tool and enabled desktop icons, well, got them up but they act like theyre burnt into the desktop picture and can't move them or click on them nothing. Does anyone know how I can move and click on the icons.. Found out that when I put a folder on the desktop, shows twice, one with the "burnt in picture" and the other I can click and move and feel tricked into clicking the wrong ones. Any idea how I can fix this. I installed the dconfig-editor and that gave the same results when enabling desktop.

The burnt in picture is like someone screen shot the desktop, hid the icons like a prank, but puts a 2nd one that is clickable.

debiman

Re: Can't move desktop icons

#2 Post by debiman »

welcome to linux.

you have 2 choices now:
  • install linux mint or ubuntu or Xubuntu, don't mess with the defaults, and be happy with a usable desktop that largely leaves you alone
or
  • break a few debian installs and by and by, start understanding how linux ticks, both the vast choice of GUIs and the underlying structures
what you write sounds like right now you are trying to do both at the same time.

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

pawRoot

#3 Post by pawRoot »

Stop using icons on desktop, problem solved, Gnome won't allow you to use this feature in newer versions anyway.

gordon24186

#4 Post by gordon24186 »

For one, i can move n make the icons on my laptop so ill just dona reinstall and learn from my error of last time. Also, i rather use debian. I started with ubuntu and a friend said to use debian so debian is what i wanna use. Been using it for 3yrs and intend on keep using it. Someday i cant afford a windows os and yea. No i will not pirate or hack one.

Anyway i will restart my desktop from scratch and go from there

phoenix_art

#5 Post by phoenix_art »

Welcome!

I think you should try Xfce with Debian because you could get more customizable things - like moving your icons etc.

Good luck!

gordon24186

#6 Post by gordon24186 »

I might give that a shot. I've always used Gnome and gnome classic for the Desktop env. could be an interesting thing to use.

phoenix_art

#7 Post by phoenix_art »

I you like the old gnome classic you may like Xfce too. Good luck! :)