gnustep-back-common package configuration failure

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

gnustep-back-common package configuration failure

Postby Jon Clark » 2018-04-12 11:00

Hi,

I have problems with the gnustep-back-common package. It does not configure correctly. This problem began after an upgrade from Debian 7 to Debian 8. I have searched on line for a solution, but not found anything to help me.

System details:
Code: Select all
[jclark@circle 12:40:18 ~]$ cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux 8 \n \l

[jclark@circle 16:54:07 ~]$ uname -a
Linux circle 3.16.0-5-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.51-3+deb8u1 (2018-01-08) i686 GNU/Linux

Package details:
[jclark@circle 16:44:02 ~]$ dpkg -l | grep gnustep-back-common
iF  gnustep-back-common                               0.24.0-4                                   i386         GNUstep GUI Backend - common files

To produce the error:
[jclark@circle 10:38:36 3158]$ sudo dpkg --configure gnustep-back-common
Setting up gnustep-back-common (0.24.0-4) ...
Generating GNUstep nfont descriptions... failed, see /var/log/gnustep-back-common.log.
dpkg: error processing package gnustep-back-common (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 gnustep-back-common

The created log file contains 188 lines of output:
[jclark@circle 10:41:32 3158]$ wc -l /var/log/gnustep-back-common.log
188 /var/log/gnustep-back-common.log

with only two lines that did not report a warning about parsing a font:
[jclark@circle 10:43:28 3158]$ grep --line-number -v "warning: couldn't fully parse" /var/log/gnustep-back-common.log
78:couldn't get postscript name for /usr/share/fonts/local/local/ttfonts/marlett.ttf, ignoring
188:mknfonts: Uncaught exception NSInvalidArgumentException, reason: Tried to add nil value for key 'NSCurrencySymbol' to dictionary

The last line reporting the "Uncaught exception" looks significant.

The configure error and resulting log file are generated by the gnustep-back-common postinstall script "/var/lib/dpkg/info/gnustep-back-common.postinst".

The script commands that generates the log file and the failure:
      mknfonts $(fc-list : file | grep -v '\.gz' | cut -d: -f1) \
      2>/var/log/gnustep-back-common.log \
        || (echo " failed, see /var/log/gnustep-back-common.log."; exit 1)

The "fc-list" command lists fonts available on the system. In this use it returns 1719 font file locations:
[jclark@circle 16:00:07 Fonts]$ pwd
/var/lib/GNUstep/Fonts

[jclark@circle 16:00:34 Fonts]$ fc-list : file | grep -v '\.gz' | wc -l

Is it possible that "mknfonts" can't handle being passed 1719 arguments?

I don't how to fix this or what to do next. Has anyone seen this before, or can anyone offer some advice please?

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
Jon Clark

Re: gnustep-back-common package configuration failure

Postby bw123 » 2018-04-12 12:06

78:couldn't get postscript name for /usr/share/fonts/local/local/ttfonts/marlett.ttf, ignoring

Might not be the problem, but this is strange path? Looks like you installed some local fonts, and one of them isn't a "good" font with a currency symbol?

If you go somewhere near line 188 in the log, maybe it will tell you which font?
bw123

Postby Jon Clark » 2018-04-12 14:00

Thanks for your reply. I have removed all of the fonts in "/usr/share/fonts/local" from the system, but unfortunately this has not solved the problem. It may be one of the other hundreds of fonts on the system that is causing the problem, but without more information about which font causes the error I am not sure how to fix this. I will try removing some of the larger directories of fonts and re-configuring gnustep-back-common.

It worked before the upgrade from Debian 7 to 8 (which caused gnustep-back-common to upgrade from 0.20.1-2.1 to 0.24.0-4). I wonder what has caused this.
Jon Clark

Postby Jon Clark » 2018-04-12 15:00

I have systematically removed every font from the system and configured the gnustep-back-common package. It fails on every attempt.

It doesn't look to be a problem related to a specific font.
Jon Clark

Postby Jon Clark » 2018-04-13 08:31

I have managed to narrow this down to be an error returned by "mknfonts" regardless of the font file provided as an argument:
[jclark@circle 09:20:52 3158]$ mknfonts /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeMono.ttf
mknfonts: Uncaught exception NSInvalidArgumentException, reason: Tried to add nil value for key 'NSCurrencySymbol' to dictionary

[jclark@circle 09:21:13 3158]$ mknfonts /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf
mknfonts: Uncaught exception NSInvalidArgumentException, reason: Tried to add nil value for key 'NSCurrencySymbol' to dictionary
Jon Clark

Return to Desktop & Multimedia