Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing applications - troubleshooting

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
jalisco

Installing applications - troubleshooting

#1 Post by jalisco »

Hello,

I am trying to install the Brave browser onto debian (jessie).

I followed the instructions found here: https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop ... usty-amd64

I didn't have any issues, error messages, or the like. Everything "seemed" to install properly.

However, when I try to run the application, the little icon shows up in my toolbar, on the top left, as if the program is going to launch, then just closes.

How can I debug this?

I am guessing this has been smooth for other people, since I have not found one iota of anyone else having problems.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Installing applications - troubleshooting

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

Open brave from terminal and post the output.

jalisco

#3 Post by jalisco »

I get this..

Code: Select all

[11539:11539:0418/155925.353497:FATAL:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(126)] No usable sandbox! Update your kernel or see https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux_suid_sandbox_development.md for more information on developing with the SUID sandbox. If you want to live dangerously and need an immediate workaround, you can try using --no-sandbox.
So, I guess that is what i need to do, update my kernel.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

You can update your kernel to 4.9 from jessie-backports. Depending on your drivers and hardware, you may also need to update any non-free firmware and drivers from there, as well as free dkms packages.

Try

Code: Select all

brave --no-sandbox
first, to make sure there are no other problems with running it.
MX Linux packager and developer