Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gmail 0auth2 insufficient instructions

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
LanceHaverkamp

gmail 0auth2 insufficient instructions

#1 Post by LanceHaverkamp »

I can't find sufficient instructions for using 0auth2 (gmail authentication) on Evolution.
Google hands-over the long secret code, but I see nowhere to enter it.
Who has set that up successfully?

I tried to attach a screenshot but the board returned the following error: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

bw123

Re: gmail 0auth2 insufficient instructions

#2 Post by bw123 »

https://support.google.com/cloud/answer/6158849?hl=en

Jeebus H X, please don't tell me they are going to force this crap on everyone?
When you use OAuth 2.0 for authentication, your users are authenticated after they agree to terms presented to them on a user consent screen.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

LanceHaverkamp

#3 Post by LanceHaverkamp »

As far as I can tell, those are the instructions for application developers, not end users.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

LanceHaverkamp wrote:
As far as I can tell, those are the instructions for application developers, not end users.
I have never needed to mess with it on an email client on linux. Why do you have to use it?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

LanceHaverkamp

#5 Post by LanceHaverkamp »

That's how two-factor-authentication is handled, in Evolution, apparently.
Gnome Online Authentication worked properly with google, but with Evolution, I keep receiving the 60+ character secret code, but there's nowhere in evolution to store it.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

LanceHaverkamp wrote:That's how two-factor-authentication is handled, in Evolution, apparently.
Gnome Online Authentication worked properly with google, but with Evolution, I keep receiving the 60+ character secret code, but there's nowhere in evolution to store it.
I've been using imap on gmail with alpine client, and never needed two factor auth. I think this two-factor idea is poor choice for users. Yahoo especially has been really buggered by mail problems. They screw up on security for account details on their server, and then to solve it they make user jump through hoops to read their email?

I mean... check the logic.

This will be terrible for users, and force many to use a web interface with javascript for email instead of a third party client that is very safe and secure. I hope gmail does not adopt the two factor requirement for all email accounts.
resigned by AI ChatGPT