Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]Have to run startx from tty to get to GUI

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
BrokeXorg

[Solved]Have to run startx from tty to get to GUI

#1 Post by BrokeXorg »

Lately my computer has been stuck just before it boots into Gnome. startx from a tty terminal seems to be working, though I am not sure how long that will last. One of the more bizarre behaviors I have been experiencing is that it seems to be automatically switching between tty sessions. I could be entering either my root or user password and it would switch from tty3 to tty4, for example. I also have started Xorg through one tty interface and it will switch to the login screen on another. If I try to login there the screen will go blank for about 30 seconds and go right back to the login prompt.
Last edited by BrokeXorg on 2018-05-11 00:20, edited 2 times in total.

bw123

Re: Have to run startx from tty to get to GUI

#2 Post by bw123 »

Yeah i have been there, it's a real drag. So on bootup the display-manager doesn't come up? and drops you back to a login prompt? Try these instead of logging in and running startx, login as root.

Code: Select all

# systemctl status display-manager.service
# systemctl stop display-manager.service
# systemctl start display-manager.service
It's normal for the old way of doing it to login on one tty, then run X on another, usually tty7 or so. You did not say what version of debian you are on.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

BrokeXorg

#3 Post by BrokeXorg »

bw123 wrote:So on bootup the display-manager doesn't come up? and drops you back to a login prompt?
Not even dropping to a terminal. It will just pause at the screen just before login until I switch to a tty. What does tty stand for anyway? I am running Debian stable.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by 4D696B65 »

BrokeXorg wrote:
bw123 wrote:So on bootup the display-manager doesn't come up? and drops you back to a login prompt?
Not even dropping to a terminal. It will just pause at the screen just before login until I switch to a tty. What does tty stand for anyway? I am running Debian stable.
Once you log in, check dmesg for clues.

TTY stands for teletypewriter.

Caluser2000

#5 Post by Caluser2000 »

Try logging in a root in a terminal "su" then password. Run "apt-get install gdm" It should reinstate the gnome display manager with a graphical login prompt and options to select whatever destop enviroment you have installed on the system. If it says gdm is already installed remove it with "apt-get remove gdm" and reinstall.

cgirerd

#6 Post by cgirerd »

Hi there,
I think I have the same issue as yours. I openned a thread in this forum here to explain my problem: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=137404

cgirerd

#7 Post by cgirerd »

Hi @BrokeXorg, is the problem solved on your side? Please let me know if that is the case :wink:

BrokeXorg

#8 Post by BrokeXorg »

No sir still takes minutes to boot if at all. Though bw123 seems to have the best answer

Code: Select all

# systemctl status display-manager.service
# systemctl stop display-manager.service
# systemctl start display-manager.service
I can login as root in tty. Then I get the login screen by Cntrl+Alt+F1. Thank you bw123 for coming up with this.

cgirerd

#9 Post by cgirerd »

Take a look here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 4&start=30. This seems to solve the problem for most users.

BrokeXorg

Re: [Solved}Have to run startx from tty to get to GUI

#10 Post by BrokeXorg »

The haveged package readily available within the Stable repositories solved the problem. Basically from what I can ascertain is the /random directory(not sure what the parent directories are) does not generate enough of a cache on startup to get to the login screen. Another fix that works is to punch a bunch of random keys and that will generate enough random numbers to get to your desktop.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Solved]Have to run startx from tty to get to GUI

#11 Post by sunrat »

For those who came in late and haven't read the dozen or so other posts on this issue, the kernel that was pushed in security updates fixes this.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!