Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 Mate - enabling compiz

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
programster

Debian 9 Mate - enabling compiz

#1 Post by programster »

Hello there,
This is my first time to use this forum, so be gentle :)

I decided to try and switch to Debian 9 Mate after trying deciding Ubuntu 18.04 wasn't for me. So far I am having great fun customizing the heck out of it but have hit a little problem enabling compiz.

I installed compiz from the steps described http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=133561.

I also installed mate-desktop-environment-extras package after seeing http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... iz#p655331

Compiz replace appears to work, except that I lose my window titlebars (window decoration).

If I run:

Code: Select all

gtk-window-decorator --replace
Then I will get the following error:

(gtk-window-decorator:14727): Gtk-ERROR **: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
Trace/breakpoint trap
Is there an easy way to resolve this?

programster

Re: Debian 9 Mate - enabling compiz

#2 Post by programster »

Okay so using the PPA looks like it was what was causing the issue. I removed it and uninstalled compiz-* before reinstalling it:

sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-mate -y
I then enabling it through the mate tweak tool (under windows -> Window manager)

Compiz now fully works but the window decorations are far uglier. its a small price to pay for having much smoother resizing of Firefox and having the desktop wall back again.

If anyone has some links/pointers on how I might be able to improve the window decorations, I would be grateful. I was really happy with the look of the Arc theme before compiz replaced the decorator. I take it there isn't a way to use the original widow decoration mechanism, but use compiz for everything else (window resizing, scaling desktop wall etc)?

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

please don't embed full-sized images, use thumbnails max. 250px as a link to the full image.
programster wrote:If anyone has some links/pointers on how I might be able to improve the window decorations, I would be grateful.
iirc, there's a separate app to configure compiz, called maybe ccms or something like that.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

You can use the emerald window decorations in Compiz instead of the rather plain gtk one. You should already have those and the emerald theme manager installed, as well as fusion-icon which allows you to access most compiz functions from the taskbar.

The Emerald themes look rather dated if you're into the modern ultraflat esthetic, but I believe there are some more modern-looking ones out there if you search the Net.
MX Linux packager and developer